Question

Honor Student
willlsteele
Message 1 of 6 (6,396 Views)

HP Pavillion DV7 - No display

I have had this used laptop for about a month. After turning it on the other day I got no display. I tried reseating the hard drive, memory and battery. Additionally, I plugged a VGA monitor into the external adapter to determine if it was simply the internal video or not. I did not get a display on the external monitor. What are some other tests I might run to determine if I have a video problem or some basic motherboard/BIOS type issue?

Distinguished Professor
Rakhmad
Message 2 of 6 (6,394 Views)

Re: HP Pavillion DV7 - No display

How about the internal fan? Does it spinning?

Please post your model number so that every body can help you.

______

Pavilion DV2922TX, XP-SP3 32bit, Intel T5750 2.0Ghz, Nvidia Geforce 8400M GS with 128MB, 4GB 667 DDR2, 250GB HDD
Honor Student
willlsteele
Message 3 of 6 (6,392 Views)

The model number is Pavillion dv7-1130us.  When I turn the machine on the fan immediately to the right of the battery pack does start spinning.

Distinguished Professor
Rakhmad
Message 4 of 6 (6,351 Views)

It seems you have AMD chipset problem that embedded on motherboard.

Have you contacted HP? Better call HP since you have hardware issue.

The motherboard can perform initial start up but fail to transfer video signal to your LCD.

Here all toubleshooting for your notebook.

Motherboard is one of the most expensive component of notebook. If you are out of warranty period, try to bring it to component level computer store, they can replace only the broken chip.

______

Pavilion DV2922TX, XP-SP3 32bit, Intel T5750 2.0Ghz, Nvidia Geforce 8400M GS with 128MB, 4GB 667 DDR2, 250GB HDD
Honor Student
willlsteele
Message 5 of 6 (6,334 Views)

No, I have not contacted HP yet.  The computer was purchased for me as a present.  I do not know if it is under warranty.Depending on the cost of the chipset replacement, I might buy a motherboard myself and simply swap it out.  Once I get a chance to speak with them I will decide.  Thanks all for the help.

Provost
CherylG
Message 6 of 6 (6,313 Views)

If the laptop was purchased new it will be covered under the standard 1 yr warranty.

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation