Question

Honor Student
bub89
Message 1 of 11 (9,594 Views)

HP Pavillion dv2000 (dv2500)

[ Edited ]

hi all,

i have a few issues. firstly my Pc sticker on the monitor itself says my pc is a dv2000, but my basic info screen on pc says dv2500 and the service tag says both dv2500 and dv2637TX??? any major differences there?

secondly: my NVIDIA display i think is no longer working as it should. Prior to my current issues with it i only had a notification saying NVIDIA (not that word) stopped working  and has recovered i wasnt really worried by that only my screen would freeze breifly, i tried putting Vista SP2 on here and thats where everything went to the dogs. My screen turns black i loose sound but my lights on the pc says it hasnt turned off. if this doesnt happen i get ''snow'' then loose my screen, or i get a multidude of colours then loose it. in either of these cases i have to restart my pc multiple times in order to get my screen back again...I am lucky to have a screen longer than 5minutes these days. I have tried system restore with no success, i have tried reinstalling my driver with no success, and my screen doesnt stay on long enough to download a more recent version of NVIDIA and i cant afford the internet credit each time i have to try downloading again(starts from scratch again). I also on occasion get a ''bluescreen'' saying ive had a hardware failure/malfunction then it shuts itself down...My HP is 2 years old!!! What gives???

Can anyone help me with my PC??? Id Love to have it working properly again!!!

Honor Student
pankaj2375
Message 2 of 11 (9,565 Views)

Re: HP Pavillion dv2000 (dv2500)

hi buddy same issue with my hp pavilion 2601 tx entertainment PC (special edition).though montior says DV 2600. screen issues also similar. it gooes off after turning pixated green red bands and then i 2 have 2 restrt it many a times for screen restoration. me 2 tried loading reloading drivers but no JOY. i m also stuck up n it sucks. notbook is just 2 yr old.

Intern
AnonymousHelp
Message 3 of 11 (9,563 Views)

Try pressing F8 after you pass the HP screen , after that boot to safe mode with networking and see if the issue persists . If it doesn't , go to HP's site and download the ORIGINAL drivers for your display adapter and reinstall them . If it does the same thing it is not driver related and as I don't work on your model of laptop , I am unqualified to provide further information .

Hope that helps .

Intern
Intern
kot
Message 4 of 11 (9,549 Views)

The sticker thing has no difference my dv2890ca has a sticker of dv2000. Your laptop model is still dv2637TX.

If your laptop screen looks a bit like this

Then there's a high probability if not guaranteed that your Nvidia card is fried or "dead". I had a dv2412ca and a dv2890ca that died with similar symptoms; black screen, random BSOD, random reboot. snowy screen.

You might look if your laptop is in list HP Enhancement warranty (US) might be different depending where you bought it.

If you're not that list than you might need to repair it, but depending where you live your local consumer protection law might require HP to repair or replace it for free.

Student
ryan_to
Message 5 of 11 (9,125 Views)

i'm having the same issues with my laptop.. screen just goes snowy and distorted after a while. 

I have a dv2817ca with p/n KP044UA.  Any advice on how to resolve?

Provost
CherylG
Message 6 of 11 (9,123 Views)

[ Edited ]

The graphics chip isn't 'fried'_the solder has broken down.Reflowing graphic chip has become common. There are hundreds of videos on You Tube showing different procedures...if you are ,or know someone, good at this sort of thing.Several companies also offer the service now.

Graphics repair service:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260595095107

Or_"do it yourself":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnkQNmKauEc&playnex t_from=TL&videos=iwVYWjDuwhA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w45tZPVcj4c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vR8L3B3eDr0

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Top Student
seachellexxx
Message 7 of 11 (8,779 Views)

[ Edited ]

V2500 , aka DV2000 AKA DV2845SE

An extended warranty was put is place for some models , although my DV2500 was not on the very limited list . , it is the same NVIDIA issue . HP are trying to cop out . there are thousands of users that are unhappy as all have the same issue , bad design  . 

my serial number is [text removed for privacy]

DV2845se . 

no boot no post . 

any ideas , hp support bouncers said your not on the list . 

V2500 , aka DV2000 AKA DV2845SE An extended warranty was put is place for some models , although my DV2500 was not on the very limited list . , it is the same NVIDIA issue . HP are trying to cop out . there are thousands of users that are unhappy as all have the same issue , bad design  .   my serial number is[text removed for privacy]  DV2845se .  no boot no post .  any ideas , hp support bouncers said your not on the list . 

Student
cpitt1
Message 8 of 11 (6,689 Views)

Hello,

I have have the exact same special edition dv2500 model....any luck on finding out if you can get a recall on it?

Student
dismayedbuyer
Message 9 of 11 (6,366 Views)

This is a common problem with HP and fault lies in the design. The NVidia chipset gets loose. If you contact HP, they will never tell you the real problem. They will only ask you to buy more and more packages but never give you the solution till you pay them the repair, etc. Save money and get it repaired from a local guy or check on ebay, else the money you pay HP will be more than the cost of a brand new laptop! That's personal experience speaking. By the way, there was a litigation filed against NVidia. Check www.NVidiasettlement.com, but the deadline is over. I missed it too, all because HP did not inform me.

Student
Harry_Qin
Message 10 of 11 (5,886 Views)

[ Edited ]

I have a dv2817ca. It went dead years ago just couple of months the warranty went to the end. I have called HP a few times about this defective product. Last time I called a year ago was because I read the news in China that thousands of chinese consumers were having the overheat problem due to devective design of HP DV/Pavillion latops, and claimed a recall. Some any consumers smash at HP service center. I'm not that kind of angry consumer, but I'm not paying {Content Removed: Language Filter Evasion} $500 to get that **bleep** thing fix. I'm now always telling my friends to keep away from HP.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation