Question

Student
cabqwn
Message 1 of 4 (1,545 Views)

HP ZD8000 horizontal lines

This morning when I went to turn on my laptop (HP zd8000) I got a horizonatl line pattern runing vertical on my screen, kind of like a bar code, and I can see the Microsoft  logo in bakcground.  Any way the computer booted up but when I moved the mouse around on the arrow there was still a little grid of horizontal lines.  I promptly backed up a file I needed.  I then tried to restart the computer and now it starts to boot then goes to a blank black screen, though I can still hear and see the hard drive light flickering.

I hooked up the laptop to a monitor that I have and the line pattern was still there as before with the Microsoft logo behind at start up and then the screen goes black.

I then tried to start the computer in VGA mode and this works,  no lines.

I have read various forums talking about vertical colored lines but did not see anything on horizontal lines and am wondering if this is the same type of problem, and what if anything I can do to fix it, or am I just out of luck.

I have had this computer for 4 years and this believe it or not is the first "real" problem I have had.  It always seems to run hot but that seems to be the norm for this model.

Any help would be great

Thank You

Honor Student
roossy90
Message 2 of 4 (1,329 Views)

Re: HP ZD8000 horizontal lines

I had a similar issue and found that the VPU recovery for the ATI video card was kicking in, and I had to set my hardware acceleration all the way to the lowest amount for the screen to appear normail. I also had to restart my laptop in safe mode to get there first... I have no idea what the matter is, as from what I understand, the video card in integrated and cannot be switched out...I have the zd8205 US model, and its almost 5 years old and has been nothing but trouble.I am on my 4th external power supply and had to buy a new hard drive after 2 years... HP is notorious for running HOT and I hate it. I cant wait to buy a new laptop.. try resetting your hardware acceleration on the CONTROL PANEL/display/settings/advanced listing. HOpe it helps.. mine is permanently set to the lowest hardware acceleration and it b ites...Oh and BTW I could never find out what makes the VPU kick in.  good luck

Student
mhtsos022
Message 3 of 4 (695 Views)

[ Edited ]

[SOLVED]

Last night while I was trying to figure out what the heck was going on, I randomly touched the SWITCH COVER (upper side of laptop) and noticed that the screen flickering+artifacts+B.S.O.D.'s HAD GONE AWAY!!!!!!!! Thank God! BELIEVE IT, OR NOT!!! :-)
It seems that some cables weren't so tight connected (e.g. TFT-main board) or something...
I wish I'd realized that earlier, but as my grandparents say, better late than never!

I wish you all a Happy New Year

Intern
USAnnika
Message 4 of 4 (680 Views)

I have kind of the same problem on my G60-244DX.

When i switch on my Laptop the screen stays black and i only hear the windows sound. So i wait a bit and than close the lid to set it on standby, open the lid screen stays black or i get black/white, gray stripes and after i few times i get the windows screen. The only way to keep it is to set the laptop on standby with on and off buttom asa i close the lid or shut down the system and restart i have it again the balck screen.

I think it could be the  graphicard driver, i don't know.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation