[ HP dv5-1000us ] Screen rolls, loose connection? (14898 Views)
Top Student
Prozac4545
Message 1 of 13 (14,898 Views)
Accepted Solution

[ HP dv5-1000us ] Screen rolls, loose connection?

I recently purchased a dv5-1000us. Since a few days after purchasing the laptop, the screen started to roll like there is a loose connection or there is an issue with the screen. I've tried connecting the laptop to my tv and various monitors and the screen only rolls on the laptop. if i adjust the monitor back and forth it finally stops. However, recently its gotten quite ridiculous and VERY frequent. Has anyone else had this issue or know of a fix? I don't want to pry open the laptop and void the warranty. I can't really afford to send it off to get fixed since I use it daily for school. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Honor Student
hpnomore
Message 2 of 13 (14,767 Views)

Re: [ HP dv5-1000us ] Screen rolls, loose connection?

I also bought the same model a few months back. Right now I am getting the screen to flicker any time the screen is held less than or even vertical upright (90 degress angle to the keyboard). I need to extend the angle the screen so as to stop the flickering. When the screen flickers, it appears as some bad television signal. I am not sure if it is a physical damage or an eletronic defect. I cannot turn the screen up and down without facing the problem. The problem is only stopped when I hold the screen at an angle greater than vertical upright.

Does anybody know anything about it?

Top Student
Prozac4545
Message 3 of 13 (13,700 Views)

Heres the fix. Take off the front part of the lid and the speaker section from the laptop exposing the monitor cable on the left side. Take off the black tape that HP used to crimp the holy **bleep** out of the cable. Once the cable is able to move more freely, the problem will go away. There was a wire that had broken in two, and I just trimmed it to make sure it didn't make contact with anything else. It's apparently only a ground wire as there was no harm done. I was expecting to have to buy a new cable, but taking off the tape does the trick. there will be about 30-40 screws to take off, just a heads up. And it will sound like you are breaking the cheap plastic, but it will snap back together. Be gentle, but firm and it will come right off with little damage. (: This fix beats the hell out of paying HP to replace the screen. looking up the monitor cable part online only yielded the WHOLE screen assembly. I will NEVER buy HP again after being an avid HP "enthusiast."
Top Student
rblander
Message 4 of 13 (12,769 Views)

[ Edited ]

Here is the fix to stop the screen flickering etc.

The two wires going to the screen are normally joined together, just by twisting together, the connection comes a little loose, and creates flicker.

To solve solder together, or twist very hard together and tape up again tightly.

Picture on how to do it is here:

Leave a reply if you need any extra help

Instructions on how to take this laptop apart are on http://tim.id.au/laptops/hp/hp%20pavilion%20dv5.pdf page 53 and around there for details based on screen etc
Honor Student
Carno50
Message 5 of 13 (11,358 Views)

I looked at the loose wire fix. What kind of connector did HP use?

rblander wrote:

Here is the fix to stop the screen flickering etc.

The two wires going to the screen are normally joined together, just by twisting together, the connection comes a little loose, and creates flicker.

To solve solder together, or twist very hard together and tape up again tightly.

Picture on how to do it is here:

Leave a reply if you need any extra help

Instructions on how to take this laptop apart are on http://tim.id.au/laptops/hp/hp%20pavilion%20dv5.pdf page 53 and around there for details based on screen etc

Honor Student
Carno50
Message 6 of 13 (11,358 Views)

Why would HP leave these wires unsoldered?

Top Student
rblander
Message 7 of 13 (11,354 Views)

No idea why they just joined the wire by twisting it and wraping it with conductive tape. To me it looked like a good connection, but it obviously wasn't! Soldering the twisted earth wires together fixed the problem

Student
NotAnHPFan
Message 8 of 13 (10,848 Views)

Prozac and Rblander.  Many, many thank you's.  I had tried additional fans and wedging the monitor in certain positions, but the minute the screen moved the flashing/rolling would start.  I followed your instructions and after 1.5 hour I have a perfect monitor. 

Most of that time was to remove the bezel as you have to use a good deal of force to pry it off.  I also wasnt sure if the bezel was attached at the side or on the front.  Your pictures showed it clear enough, but I was unsure so I found this site for some additional pictures.

http://www.insidemylaptop.com/remove-lcd-screen-from-hp-pavilion-dv5-laptop/

Also note that to remove the bezel you have to remove two small screws on both sides of the hinge plate.   It is called out in step 1 of the article posted above.

I also didn't have a frayed wire or anything that needed soldering.  I unwrapped the tape, which was also a pain.  Didn't see anything frayed or broken, so I retaped the wires and tested it out.  Maybe just shifting the wires around worked, because the flicker is gone.

Again thanks so much for taking the time to post.

Top Student
rblander
Message 9 of 13 (10,841 Views)

Glad we could help!

My wires wrapped in the conductive tape weren't frayed either, but I found that holding them tighter together stopped the screen flickering.So either re-twisting them harder together or soldering them together seemed to do the job well.

I wonder how many poor other people have this same problem!

Honor Student
mhsalgado
Message 10 of 13 (10,828 Views)

I just had my dv5 apart this morning after having the black screen issue. An external monitor  works just fine so I'm crossing my fingers that a loose wire is to blame. I'll take it apart again right now and pray this helps. I'm sick of dumping money into this thing and REALLY need my laptop back. Thank you for your post. Cross your fingers.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation