Question

Honor Student
arnied
Message 1 of 4 (377 Views)

HP dv7-6c95dx I7-2670Q Can I Upgrade to Blue Ray player and add a graphics card?

I just bought a laptop with I7-2670Q  It has a dvd drive but not a blue ray and it has the Intel 4000 graphics chipset.

Can I upgrade to a Blue Ray player and add a graphics card?  If so, can I buy the right ones from HP? and how would I go about ordering them? (pricing, etc.)

Provost
DavidPK
Message 2 of 4 (374 Views)

Re: HP dv7-6c95dx I7-2670Q Can I Upgrade to Blue Ray player and add a graphics card?

Hi,

You're notebook is listed as having the option of a Blu ray optical drive - see Page 48 of your Maintenance & Service Guide for the Part Nos. and the replacement procedure.  The first BD optical drive in the list is probably the best option and is available from HP Parts Store Here.

As far as your graphics chip is concerned, your current Intel GPU is integrated into your Motherboard and as such, is not an upgradeable component.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
arnied
Message 3 of 4 (371 Views)

Re: HP dv7-6c95dx I7-2670Q Can I Upgrade to Blue Ray player and add a graphics card?

Thank You for the information about the Blue Ray upgrade.  I noticed on the internet that folks had purchase the same system at a different price point and that there systems had only 4GB of memory but had both blue ray and a graphics card with 1GB of on board memory.  My system came with 8GB of memory but a dvd and no added graphics card.   Does HP use the same model number with different mother boards to allow the different configurations or options of having a separate graphics card?  I don't know much about the internals of laptops but does this mean that there are not any slots for adding optional cards (like a wireless ethernet that I added to my HP desktop system)?  Also,if I add the Blue Ray will the video work ok with the existing Intel video chip?

Again, thanks for your expertise!!!  Arnie

Provost
DavidPK
Message 4 of 4 (368 Views)

Hi,

You're welcome :smileyhappy:

HP notebooks come with a wide variety of Hardware configurations within the same Model series, however, unlike a Desktop PC, there are no available slots to add additional components.  Although Models similar to yours come with a 'Dedicated Graphics Card', the 'Card' is still soldered to the Motherboard and can't be changed.

The good news is that your notebook should play Blu ray disks fine - in notebooks with with a dedicated graphics chip, the video processing is often done by the GPU.  With your intergated GPU chip, this may be off-loaded to the processor, but is well within what your CPU can cope with.

Best regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation