Question

Top Student
ChuckD
Message 1 of 3 (5,133 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP mediasmart dvd won't play blu-ray discs. It just keeps asking if I want to check for updates.

This is a new problem.  Have played blu-ray discs before with no problems.  I have a HP Pavilion dv7 notebook.  Windows 7.

Provost
DavidPK
Message 2 of 3 (5,126 Views)

Re: HP mediasmart dvd won't play blu-ray discs. It just keeps asking if I want to check for updates.

Hi,

This assumes you are running Windows 7.

Download and install Revo Uninstaller from the link below.

http://www.revouninstaller.com/download-freeware-version.php

Run revo and use it to uninstall your HP MediaSmart DVD Software.  Right click on the icon of the program you wish to remove and select Uninstall.  During the process you may be asked to delete registry entries, just select all and then click delete.  Do the same for any left over files and folders.  Once the uninstall has completed, reboot the PC.

Next, download the latest installer for MediaSmart DVD on the link below and save it to your Desktop.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp50501-51000/sp50935.exe

If you don't have an extraction utility installed, download and install 7-Zip.  Right click the installer you download, select 7-Zip, select extract files and then click Ok.  Open the newly extracted folder, open src and scroll down until you see the setup application ( 6th from the bottom with a size of 310Kb ).  Right click this Setup Application and select 'Run as Administrator' to start the installation.  When the installation has completed, restart the notebook and see if you can now play your Blu ray discs.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Top Student
ChuckD
Message 3 of 3 (5,086 Views)

Re: HP mediasmart dvd won't play blu-ray discs. It just keeps asking if I want to check for updates.

I was able to resolve my problem by downloading and installing the current version of HP Mediasmart DVD software.  I just let the installer uninstall the previous version and everything went fine.  Thanks for the help.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation