01-18-2010 09:09 PM
My wife has this exact same model laptop and I've just installed windows 7 on it and its taken two days of mucking around with it to get the graphics working properly...
I finally found some instructions on this page: http://www.groundstate.net/855GMWin7.html which I followed and now my graphics works perfectly - No aero as that is beyond this chipset but movies play back smoothly, I have 1400 x 1050 resolution and sleep is enabled.
The site was a bit slow so incase it goes down the gist of the instructions were:
1) uninstall any existing non-functional drivers from device manager, selecting "remove driver" where offered. You should end up with a device "video controller (vga compatible)" with an exclamation mark.
2) go to C:\windows\system32\drivers and locate vgapnp.sys. Right click, select properties, security, advanced, owner, edit. Now select your account as the owner and press ok until you have closed property windows.
3) go into properties of vgapnp.sys again, security, advanced, change permissions then remove ALL of the permission entries. OK until all the property windows are closed.
4) Download the intel drivers v188.8.131.5222 from http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QWGM1UPX and extract them to a folder.
5) in device manager on the video adaptor (vga compatible) right click and select "uninstall", then reboot.
6) after your machine reboots it will try and install device drivers. This will fail.
7) go into device manager, and on the video adaptor select "update driver" and point at the folder win2000 inside the drivers you extracted earlier.
Your graphics adaptor should now be fully functional.
The only other device that didn't install with win7 was the memory card reader. I found some drivers for that here:
Its all a bit painful to get working, but worth it to get windows 7 running
06-19-2010 06:22 PM
I think I have the same card, and no it didn't work with the drivers built into windows 7. I *think* I used this driver here:
06-19-2010 07:56 PM - edited 06-19-2010 08:06 PM
I tried that one and did not work? is yours working?
Never mind I tried a different way and it works now !!!!!!!!!! GREAT Thanks.
I only have one more thing showing an exclamation sign....is the
on Extended IO Bus
06-19-2010 08:33 PM
I think that is the infrared driver. Strage, on this laptop I think it is using the microsoft drivers for it.
Can you download a free app called "unknown devices" and see what it says about it?
Google for it, It doesn't need to be installed, just unzip the files to a folder and run the exe and let me know what it says about this device.
06-19-2010 10:29 PM
I have one thing left to get working......The SD Card is not working properly.....is yours reading ? my asks to format the cards.....and on the device manager says flash memory card.