Question

Honor Student
GremlinSA
Message 1 of 5 (4,128 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP620 Graphics Upgrade

Hi Guys

I got a HP 620 Notebook with the 2.2Ghz Dual Core CPU and I recently upgraded my 2GB Ram to 4GB and I want to go to the Max supported 6GB in a month or two. I upgraded the RAM due to performance issues with some of my business software that I'm running. Altough the RAM upgrade helped a bit ( Very Small Change) I notted that the performance issue are actully on the display card.

I have the Intel 4 serries card in the notebook currently ussing 64mb RAM.

Are there any way to increase the shared RAM on the Graphics?? or are there maybe, can I maybe replace the graphics card with another card?? I really need to get this performance up and I really don't want to buy a new laptoop at this stage.

If there are any thing I can do to increase my graphics performance, PLEASE direct me on how....

Thanx in advance

Kind Regards

Gremlin

Provost
DavidPK
Message 2 of 5 (4,123 Views)

Re: HP620 Graphics Upgrade

Hi,

As far as graphics performance is concerned, it's the ammount and speed of the dedicated ram that's important ( ie the ram that's actually on the video adapter ).  Unfortunately, as the video chip is physically soldered to the Motherboard, there is no realistic way of upgrading this component.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
GremlinSA
Message 3 of 5 (4,111 Views)

That were exactly what I was afraid off. So in the end off the day I'll have to buy a new laptop to enhance performance.

Thanx for the speedy reply.

Provost
DavidPK
Message 4 of 5 (4,089 Views)

Hi,

You're welcome and yes, your only real option is to buy another notebook with a more powerful graphics adapter ( the more powerful notebooks will come with a discrete graphics card like Nvidia or ATI and you should consider the ammount of dedicated ram and the speed of the dedicated ram, rather than any reference to 'shared memory' ).

All the best,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Student
jkyle
Message 5 of 5 (3,946 Views)

The HP620 comes with W7 32-bit. Upgrading RAM above 4GB requires a 64-bit OS. I have upgraded to the 64-bit OS. I currently have 6GB of RAM installed.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation