Question

Honor Student
Richiela
Message 1 of 5 (2,362 Views)

HP6400 Laptop Screen nearly totaly washed out

My HP6400 screen is now unviewable, the screen is very washed out and it is difficult to see through the white wash.  Is this the screen or a cable problem.

thanks

Grad Student
ClintonTam
Message 2 of 5 (2,354 Views)

Re: HP6400 Laptop Screen nearly totaly washed out

Did you try to re-install the Graphics Driver?

My suggestion is to connect an external monitor to see if you can see any image on this monitor.

If you do, then the problem could be your LCD panel, back light control circuit or the Inverter.

If you don't, then the problem is likely with your Graphics Controller.

Honor Student
Richiela
Message 3 of 5 (2,349 Views)

Connecting the VGA output to another monitor works fine with a perfect picture.  The screen occassionaly will work fine when NOT hot.
Student
Nick710
Message 4 of 5 (2,282 Views)

I have the same exact problem. Except my started when water spilled on top of the closed laptop that was on. I quickly dried it off, shut it down and pulled the battery. I then left it on top of the boiler for 5 days to make sure it was dry. It didn’t appear that any water got inside, but I guess a little must have. Now its seem sporadic that the screen will be fine and work for hours without problem, but then the screen will seem to get brighter and brighter and become washout to the point where not much can be seen. I found I can drop the gamma as low as it can go and it isn’t bad, but the colors off and well sometimes the screen works normally. Also I’ve hooked it to a second monitor and it works fine. I suppose I should also not that my right click button doesn’t work anymore either. But that’s a completely separate issue, I think. So I was wondering if you found an answer, I’m not opposed to replacing a part, I just don’t know which of if it’s the LCD panel, backlight control circuit or inverter. Thanks for your help.
Honor Student
Richiela
Message 5 of 5 (2,268 Views)

Hello All

I changed out the LCD panel,  all is well.    Thanks for your help!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation