Question

Top Student
cdejacimo
Message 1 of 9 (17,767 Views)

Help using / adding an external monitor to my Pavilion dv9500t

Hello,

I have a Pavilion dv9500t CTO NB and want to use it as a desktop PC for work.  Ideally I would like to have 2 screens (not with mirrored image).  I would mostly use it to have 2 different webpages or excel docs open - one on each screen.  Can anyone please advise me on the best way to do this and what products I may need to buy to make it work?  Specific questions and details about my laptop are below.  Thank in advance!

1.  I would really like to have 2 external monitors and be able to close the laptop while I work.  Is this possible?

2.  If #1 is not possible, can I hook up 1 external monitor and use the screen on my laptop and the external monitor?

3.  Can I plug an external monitor directly (without a dock) into the laptop and close the laptop and use the single external monitor with a wireless keyboard?

I am trying to figure out what work best for me so any input to 1 or all questions would be appreciated. :smileyhappy:

Laptop info:

Pavilion dv9500t CTO NB

-  Genuine Windows Vista Business (32-bit)
- Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo T7300 (2.0GHz/4MB L2Cache)
- 17.0" WXGA+ BrightView Widescreen (1440x900)
-  2GB (2 Dimm)
- Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator X3100
- Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 4965AGN Network w/Bluetooth
- 240GB 5400RPM SATA Dual Hard Drive (120GB x 2)
- LightScribe DVD+/-RW w/Double Layer
- High Capacity 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
- Microsoft(R) Office Professional 2007

Thanks again!
Tutor
Owendavies
Message 2 of 9 (17,784 Views)

Re: Help using / adding an external monitor to my Pavilion dv9500t

Hi

1)   I don't think its possible to have two monitors on one output and make them show different things.  I may be wrong but l'm sure someone else could correct me on this.

2)  Yes, you can use you laptop screen at the same time as an external monitor, and you can make either an extended desktop.  to do this, all you have to do is go into display properties (right click desktop, display settings), click number 2 and make sure 'extend desktop to this monitor' is checked.  The display should change and then you'll have your normal desktop and just the background on another, which will allow you to drag stuff over onto it.

3)  Yes, you can close the laptop lid and just use an external monitor.  for this, use the Fn + (F8/F5/F2 etc.) to switch the display, and once on the monitor you can close the lid.  The laptop may go to sleep, but shouldn't as long as you switch to monitor only.

Hope this helps.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

HP DV2130EA, Intel Core Duo T2250, 2Gb OCZ DDR2-667, 160Gb Western Digital 7200rpm, Nvidia Geforce Go 7200 GS
Top Student
cdejacimo
Message 3 of 9 (17,756 Views)

Owendavies wrote:

2)  Yes, you can use you laptop screen at the same time as an external monitor, and you can make either an extended desktop.  to do this, all you have to do is go into display properties (right click desktop, display settings), click number 2 and make sure 'extend desktop to this monitor' is checked.  The display should change and then you'll have your normal desktop and just the background on another, which will allow you to drag stuff over onto it.

For this what would I need to buy?  A docking station?  Or could I just plug the monitor directly into the laptop?

Thanks!!!

Tutor
Owendavies
Message 4 of 9 (17,752 Views)

Nothing extra needed, you just plug the monitor into the port on your laptop (assuming it has one) and switch to it using Fn+ F5 or whatever your combination is (looking at your keyboard).
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

HP DV2130EA, Intel Core Duo T2250, 2Gb OCZ DDR2-667, 160Gb Western Digital 7200rpm, Nvidia Geforce Go 7200 GS
Student
MTROVER
Message 5 of 9 (17,583 Views)

HP sells a USB Graphics adapter that will plug into to any USB port then plug into a Monitor via DVI or VGA adding a new Monitor to any PC or MAC.  In fact using more than one of these devices you can add up to 6 displays, via a USB hub, to any PC or Mac.  BTW it's only $59+ a monitor, if you already don't have one.

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/nz/en/sm/WF06c/A1-329290-329223-3965995-3965995-3913299-3913302.html

Tutor
baffled_silly
Message 6 of 9 (16,639 Views)

In Windows XP-Display Properties-Settings it seems that by default the laptop monitor is always the primary monitor and the 2 monitor (in my case a 42" LCD) will only give me an extended monitor. I have to drag a window over to my big screen every time I reboot. That just doesn't seem right. I recall being able to duplicate everything before when I hooked it up so that I could boot right on to my external monitor without having to drag anything over. Now it will only extend and I think I've tried everything. Is there something I'm missing? I thank you for your help

Student
jomaxaz
Message 7 of 9 (16,580 Views)

While docked, is there a way to close the laptop and retain the wireless network connectivity while using an external monitor?  I have an HP Compaq nc6220. The wireless connection works flawlessly with the laptop docked and open but as soon as it is closed, the system wants to use the hard wired network port. I try to turn on the wireless service via software but it wants me to use the computer switch which it not possible once the laptop is closed.

Thank you for your assistance.

Top Student
drbrucehoag
Message 8 of 9 (13,494 Views)

It's possible to hook up 2 external monitors with this laptop. I've done it myself and have that configuration right now.

You need to obtain a small device called a UV Plus (http://www.evga.com/uvplus/). This either is, or acts as, an external graphics card. 

You probably know that you can plug the second monitor into the "monitor" port on the left side of the laptop already. The UV Plus plugs into a USB port; so theoretically, you could have as many monitors as ports.

The more experienced users on this board will be able to advise you on the ability of the computer itself to support this many devices of this type.

Cheers, Bruce

Student
The_Numsan
Message 9 of 9 (7,010 Views)

HI

did you ever work out how to do this?  Can't find the answer anywhere (yet?)

Regards

Mark C

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation