Question

Honor Student
zrenzi
Message 1 of 8 (33,727 Views)

Help with connecting Pavillion dv7 laptop to tv via HDMI

Hello,

I am hoping to find some guidance on how to view the contents of my laptop on my television. It seems straightforward, but I can not seem to get it to work. I have a Panasonic TH50PX80U (720p) plasma television and HP Pavilion dv 7-1135nr laptop with an ATI Radeon hd 3200 graphics card and the Catalyst Control Center 8.4 software and drivers. I am running on Vista Home Premium 64 bit edition. My TV does not have a PC input, so I am trying to connect via the HDMI port. I have tried to start the laptop with the HDMI cable plugged in and the TV on the HDMI component. I have tried hot plugging the HDMI cable. I have tried the Fn+F4. I have tried extending my monitor in the display settings. I have tried looking up my HDMI port in the BIOS (I did not find it). I am curious as to whether this is even possible with my TV. I am at a loss; if anyone has any information that would help me it would be greatly appreciated. I am hoping there is a menu that will allow me to turn on my HDMI port. I looked in the Catalyst Software, but I did not find anything. Thanks in advance.

Honor Student
MrRye
Message 2 of 8 (33,624 Views)

Re: Help with connecting Pavillion dv7 laptop to tv via HDMI

I just bought a new HDTV with three HDMI inputs and wanted to do the same thing with my Pavilion dv7. The sales rep at the video store made it seem like it was a plug and go setup. I'm new to Vista but can't find any reference to an HDMI port in the device manager or any configuration tools to assign it. It seems it is an unimplemented device.
Do the HP gods ever monitor this board or interject their words of wisdom?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Student
SteveeMason
Message 3 of 8 (33,492 Views)

Hey

I have a dv9700 and connected it to my pioneer plasma.

I just turned on my laptop plugged in the HDMI cable to the laptop and plugged the HDMI to the TV. Then turned on the TV, set the channel to the assigned channel for the HDMI input. Nothing happens. I then went into control panel, display, and set up the second monitor settings, I think it comes under resolution. Just play around with the settings until the resolution is correct and it asks you if you wish to save settings. I think it is just interfacing the two screens as if you were setting up two monitors, they often use the two moniter set up for drafting on CAD.

Hope that helps, it worked for me. If that was to vague put up another post and i wil go back on my computer and work it out step by step. I can't do this at the moment because it is in the shop having the WLAN card and main board replaced. Thanks HP for not recalling a very clearly defective product!

Peace out!

Honor Student
zrenzi
Message 4 of 8 (33,421 Views)

I tried setting up a second monitor as well.Neither the Video card software nor the display settings will detect the TV as a monitor. Thank you for the reply, but I am still stuck on this problem.
Honor Student
MrRye
Message 5 of 8 (33,325 Views)

It works... Not sure what made it work . I went to the Control Panel and clicked on Personalize settings and then Display settings. I highlighted the 2 box and Identify Monitor. Nothing happened. I shut off the TV and rebooted the laptop. As the laptop was comming up I turned the tv back on and the screen went black  then both the laptop and tv came back up with video. The sound switched to the tv. All I can say is play with it and you might get lucky..
Honor Student
MrRye
Message 6 of 8 (33,174 Views)

Ok, my system stopped working for some unknown reason so in trying to get it back I came across a program named Catalyst Control Center in the program menu. Forget about the Control Panel Personalize thing,The  Catalyst Control Center seems to be the tool to get the HDTV s to talk to the ATI Catalyst hardware. It has a basic wizard to set up the HDTV. I set the option to clone the laptop display and it came back up both video and sound. There is a lot of other stuff there but didn;t fool with it since it started working.

Good luck..

Honor Student
zrenzi
Message 7 of 8 (33,168 Views)

Thank you for the feedback, unfortunately, I have done all of these things before posting. I have exhausted all avenues with no luck. I will keep playing this weekend, it is possible that I am missing something. Thanks again
Student
Kvandegrift1
Message 8 of 8 (10,819 Views)

zrenzi wrote:

Hello,

I am hoping to find some guidance on how to view the contents of my laptop on my television. It seems straightforward, but I can not seem to get it to work. I have a Panasonic TH50PX80U (720p) plasma television and HP Pavilion dv 7-1135nr laptop with an ATI Radeon hd 3200 graphics card and the Catalyst Control Center 8.4 software and drivers. I am running on Vista Home Premium 64 bit edition. My TV does not have a PC input, so I am trying to connect via the HDMI port. I have tried to start the laptop with the HDMI cable plugged in and the TV on the HDMI component. I have tried hot plugging the HDMI cable. I have tried the Fn+F4. I have tried extending my monitor in the display settings. I have tried looking up my HDMI port in the BIOS (I did not find it). I am curious as to whether this is even possible with my TV. I am at a loss; if anyone has any information that would help me it would be greatly appreciated. I am hoping there is a menu that will allow me to turn on my HDMI port. I looked in the Catalyst Software, but I did not find anything. Thanks in advance.

My hp pavilion dv7 used to connect to my sony bravia t.v. via hdmi cable.  Now it won't.  Do I need to update the driver?  How?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation