Horizontal flickering lines on dv6 screen (25634 Views)
Honor Student
Constantin
Message 1 of 68 (25,634 Views)

Horizontal flickering lines on dv6 screen

Hello,

I just bought a new Pavilion dv6 (LW272UA#ABC) ten days ago and I've noticed that after the screen turns off due to inactivity, or because I close the lid to let the notebook sleep, two to three horizontal white lines flicker on and off  at the top of the screen every few seconds until I restart the computer.

Should I be worried ? Should I ask for a replacement from the store tomorrow or should I wait to see if the problem becomes worse or until HP/NVIDIA release a driver update ?

Student
scrap10
Message 2 of 68 (25,616 Views)

Re: Horizontal flickering lines on dv6 screen

I have had this same problem, I bought a pavilion dv6-6140us on Aug 4, 2011, it had the horizontal line issue. I exchanged that one on aug 17, 2011 to my local best buy for the same exact laptop. yesterday this new system starting doing the same thing. glad to know im not the only one, any help would be great.

I dont believe the issue is with the graphics card because I have a raedon and constantin has a nvidia. however I have noticed that the problem is more severe when I have something in fullscreen. so maybe it is in the programming, but I feel like its a hardware issue.

Thanks in advance

Top Student
dajohn17
Message 3 of 68 (25,569 Views)

Horizontal flickering lines on dv6 screen

Same! I ordered a custom dv6z off their website its a dv6z-6100 CTO but the first one had the problem you describe and i thought it was something to do with how it was built because the webcam was not working either. So i had a different one built and now it is having the same problem. Hopefully theyll have a  fix for this, i am in school right now so i have to deal with the problem until break, ill send it in to get looked at then. But its weird that you guys too have this problem. I think it must be a probelm with the switchable graphics. But im not sure.

Student
TopazFrost
Message 4 of 68 (25,558 Views)

[ Edited ]

And mine too. I can't bring it in until Christmas either.

It seems to happen more/sooner when watching streaming video (e.g. youtube).

Student
Sergio_IN
Message 5 of 68 (25,496 Views)

Same problem here. Had to opt for this laptop because John Lewis in Newcastle upon Tyne (UK) would not return mine in time for my departure (Samsung with dif. problems) and exchange it for this DV6. Now it starts doing this and I am in Argentina. If it continues with it, shall I take it to the warranty? Is there any way to overcome this issue? 

I will need it for work and would be disastrous if it starts failing then!

Thanks for any help.

Honor Student
LoganLaromar
Message 6 of 68 (25,475 Views)

I have EXACTLY the same problem on my dv6-6124CA. It only happens after I close the lid or the laptop's display goes black after inactivity. Has anybody found a fix? I got my laptop TODAY and already returned it and exchanged it for the same laptop but both have this problem. 

Honor Student
baldbeard
Message 7 of 68 (25,376 Views)

Try disabling the feature that automatically shuts down the display. It's under 'Choose when to turn off the display' in 'Power Options' (easily accessed by clicking on the battery icon in the system tray and selecting 'More power options'.

I posted some more information on this issue in this thread: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Display-and-Video/Dv6-Horizontal-Line-Flicker/td-p/815489/page...

It seems to have worked for me (DV6-6124CA), and I am still able to close the lid without it happening. Perfectly acceptable work-around in my opinion, but a permanent and proper solution would be preferable.

Good luck, hope this works for everyone.

Associate Professor
Sanchertx
Message 8 of 68 (25,221 Views)

Hello,

Do the lines stay there until you reboot or restart?

Have you run HPSA and looked for driver updates? I would recommend updating the BIOS and video drivers.

Please list what versions you have..

I am an HP employee.

"Did my response help with your issue? If so, please give me Kudos by clicking the "Kudos" button or mark the post that solved your problem as the Accepted Solution. Thanks!"
Honor Student
Constantin
Message 9 of 68 (25,211 Views)

Hi Sanchertx,

This is my system:

Product NumberLW272UA #ABC

BIOS Version/DateHewlett-Packard F.20, 13/07/2011

NameAMD Radeon HD 6750M / AMD Radeon(TM) HD 6620G

Installed Driversaticfx64.dll,aticfx64.dll,aticfx64.dll,aticfx32,aticfx32,aticfx32,atiumd64.dll,atidxx64.dll,

atidxx64.dll,atiumdag,atidxx32,atidxx32,atiumdva,atiumd6a.cap,atitmm64.dll

Driver Version8.832.0.0

Driverc:\windows\system32\drivers\atikmpag.sys (8.14.1.6195, 293.50 KB (300,544 bytes) 

A solution I've found to this issue is to turn off the sleep function. If I close the lid or the screen turns off due to inactivity but the computer doesn't sleep the flickering lines do not appear.

Honor Student
CoindoorDave
Message 10 of 68 (25,104 Views)

[ Edited ]

I've got the same problem - had the system about 2 weeks.  Ran HPSA, am up to date on everything, including BIOS.  Disabled the monitor/sleep setting mentioned above, closed the lid, reopened it and seems to have worked (had to close the lid and reopen it though...simply changing and applying the setting did not change the flicker).  Didn't flicker (as much) when running a full-screen app (at this moment I have Firefox running full screen and there's no flicker). 

Another curious thing - it does flicker when I hold down a key while typing, or when I'm actively moving a window around (the instant I stop moving a window, the flicker returns)

My specs:

• HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook PC
  • Product Number LK237AV
  • CPU: AMD-A8-3510MX APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics
  • System Memory: 6GB (Slot 1 = 4GB 1333 MHz Samsung, Slot 2 = 2 GB 1333MHz ELPIDA)
  • Graphics: AMD(TM) HD 6620G
  • Current Resolution 1366 x 768
  • Graphics memory: 3,045 MB
  • Aero status: enabled
  • Driver: 8.861.1.4000 (201110803)
  • Refresh Rate: 60
  • System board: 358B 33.18
  • System BIOS: F.20
  • HD: Toshiba MK6476GSX SATA Disk Device (596.17 GB)
  • Optical drive: hp DVDWBD TS-LB23P
  • Network interfaces: Broadcom 4313 802.11b/g/n, Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller, Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)
  • Keyboard: IBM Enhanced (101- r 102-key) keyboard
  • Pointing Device HD-compliant mouse (HP wireless optical comfort mouse)
  •  " : Synaptics PS/2 Port TouchPad

I'll try rebooting now and will port the results...if/when the flicker returns.

...+24 hours...no flicker so far :-)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation