Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I'm really losing my patience here. My laptop is brand new. I remember the first time I started it I clicked on CyberLink YouCam and the camera worked. I even took a picture with it.

Since then I am trying to activate the webcam and it is not working. I wanted to Videochat on Skype but the webcam was not activated so there was no webcam option.

I read that if you go on Facebook and click on "Change Profile Picture" and then "Take Picture" it activates the webcam, but not in my case.

When I start CyberLink YouCam it says that there was no webcam found and if I have to activate it if I have one.

So here is my question: How do I activate the webcam? Please, just give me the instructions on how that works. What button combination I have to press or whatever.

I have the HP Envy dv7-7202eg with Windows 8. Bought and used in Austria, if that information makes a difference 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

If the webcam worked before, it may be "stuck".  If that is the case, then a Reset may kick it all free and you will be "back in business" in a couple of minutes.  If the Reset does not fix it, there are a few more options.  Stop when it works.

At the bottom is a Help Guide that goes over the testing and options that you have available from the software side to help you solve the problem.

This is a brand new system; if all else fails, please do call HP and ask for help!  Just because the webcam worked before does not mean it works now.  These little webcams are delicate and they can break - the wires are tiny and they can be crushed, bent, or broken at any time.  If the stubborn webcam won't work, Call HP and ask for help.  Something may have been missed or the little beast may be broken!

Contact HP

Try this simple Reset:

Notebooks- Forced Reset to Resolve Hardware and Software Issues- Sealed Non-Removable Battery

OR

Notebooks - Use Hard Reset to Resolve Hardware and Software Issues - Removable Battery

=====================================================================================

Is your Driver Installed?

sp59986 Cyberlink YouCam

NOTE the name and the location - the *.exe file will likely save to "Downloads “

• Install the Software / Driver installation package:  If you have ‘Admin’ control, you may highlight the package(s) and “double-click” to install, else Right-Click, Select ‘run as Administrator’ and install.

=====================================================================================
If the Reset and the Driver Installation do not bring Joy:

• Close all your applications and Shut down the notebook
  • Press the Power key and as the notebook is starting, Tap away on the ESC key to get into the Start Menu
  • Select F10 to enter the BIOS Menu
  • Press F5 to load the Defauls (might be F9 - see the bottom of the page for the correct key)
  • Using the ARROW keys to navigate, Select YES and hit ENTER

• Let the system completely load (boot up), and log in
  • Start Screen > Desktop > Windows key + X > Device Manager
  • Check the Device Manager for the HP TrueVision Webcam device

====================================================================================

BIOS Update

You can check to make sure your BIOS is updated to the latest version.  If needed, and you decide to do so, you can opt to update the BIOS.

HP ENVY dv7-7202eg Notebook PC Drivers & Downloads

When updating the BIOS:

• Disconnect all USB drives
  • Always run in AC power
  • Do not touch the system while the update is in progress
  • Optional: leave wireless button ON, but turn off the router (to make sure there are no interruptions)

====================================================================================

The "All Things Webcam" for Windows 8:

HP Notebook, TouchSmart, and AiO PCs - Webcam Troubleshooting (Windows 😎

Good Luck!

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

If the webcam worked before, it may be "stuck".  If that is the case, then a Reset may kick it all free and you will be "back in business" in a couple of minutes.  If the Reset does not fix it, there are a few more options.  Stop when it works.

At the bottom is a Help Guide that goes over the testing and options that you have available from the software side to help you solve the problem.

This is a brand new system; if all else fails, please do call HP and ask for help!  Just because the webcam worked before does not mean it works now.  These little webcams are delicate and they can break - the wires are tiny and they can be crushed, bent, or broken at any time.  If the stubborn webcam won't work, Call HP and ask for help.  Something may have been missed or the little beast may be broken!

Contact HP

Try this simple Reset:

Notebooks- Forced Reset to Resolve Hardware and Software Issues- Sealed Non-Removable Battery

OR

Notebooks - Use Hard Reset to Resolve Hardware and Software Issues - Removable Battery

Is your Driver Installed?

sp59986 Cyberlink YouCam

NOTE the name and the location - the *.exe file will likely save to "Downloads “

• Install the Software / Driver installation package:  If you have ‘Admin’ control, you may highlight the package(s) and “double-click” to install, else Right-Click, Select ‘run as Administrator’ and install.

If the Reset and the Driver Installation do not bring Joy:

• Close all your applications and Shut down the notebook
  • Press the Power key and as the notebook is starting, Tap away on the ESC key to get into the Start Menu
  • Select F10 to enter the BIOS Menu
  • Press F5 to load the Defauls (might be F9 - see the bottom of the page for the correct key)
  • Using the ARROW keys to navigate, Select YES and hit ENTER

• Let the system completely load (boot up), and log in
  • Start Screen > Desktop > Windows key + X > Device Manager
  • Check the Device Manager for the HP TrueVision Webcam device

BIOS Update

You can check to make sure your BIOS is updated to the latest version.  If needed, and you decide to do so, you can opt to update the BIOS.

HP ENVY dv7-7202eg Notebook PC Drivers & Downloads

When updating the BIOS:

• Disconnect all USB drives
  • Always run in AC power
  • Do not touch the system while the update is in progress
  • Optional: leave wireless button ON, but turn off the router (to make sure there are no interruptions)

The "All Things Webcam" for Windows 8:

HP Notebook, TouchSmart, and AiO PCs - Webcam Troubleshooting (Windows 😎

Good Luck!

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

While reading the information from the links I noticed it said I could change the settings on my CyberLink YouCam. But I can't. That option is simply not available. The button is there but I can't click on it. So could it be the YouCam software? I am trying to do everything also before resetting my laptop as I just moved all my files in it and it took many hours to do so.

HP Recommended

Hi,

A Forced Reset is NOT anything more than disconnecting everything, removing the battery (if the system even has a removable battery), and then force draining the "connection" points so the drivers have to reload when the power is reset.  It is like draining a capacitor.  Forced Reset does not affect files, programs, backups, the OS, or anything else --- it just forces the system to re-read the drivers so they are "reset".

It is likely that the Reset may fix it.  Resets are magic for a bunch of stuff.

I tried to list things in order of "do this next" type of thing.  You can also refer to the help document OR just use that instead.  It is a good guide and it does explain everything.  Nothing in the guide and nothing I have suggested should cause any loss of data or system integrity unless there is something really weird going on somewhere.  No guarentees, of course, but if the system is healthy, nothing suggested should hurt it.

It could be that the software is "whomped".  Happens.  It doesn't hurt to download it and install it if the Forced Reset doesn't work.  I'd try that if the Reset failed.

I am sorry you are confused.  It is worrisome to think one might lose all that hard work and those hours of effort!

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

I tried to update, then I did a reset. Both did not help. In the end I tried the things from the Webcam Troubleshooting for Windows 8 and did a System Restore. The restore did not work, it seems, as in the end (after 30 Minutes of "restoring") I got a message that my antivirus rejected the System Restore or something. Nevertheless I tried starting the webcam again and his time it worked! Very happy!

I thought there was  a special button combination you had to press to start the webcam, like with my old laptop and was very confused about all the things I had to do to get it working as I just expected a "Press that and that and it will work".

Nevertheless I am very thankful for your fast answers and help!

Thank you very much!

HP Recommended

Hi Claudia,

Excellent!

I am glad that webcam is finally working!

Windows 8 is both challenging and smarter than anything we've seen before.  The webcam software is about the same as it has been on Windows 7 -- and that only helps if you have seen how that works.  Smiling.

Below is a document that can help in the basic webcam setup with the various applications:

Our HP Forum is an excellent resource - come back often to read about Windows 8, to ask a question, and to see the latest information from HP.

Happy Computing!

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

download sp60606.exe and flash the bios.

this will restart the machine and you are good to go.

HP Recommended

How can I activate my HP TrueVision webcam (HP Envy dv7; Windows 8). I've been using the laptop for a while and haven't needed the webcam til now.

HP Recommended

Strugs,

Welcome to the HP Forum!

• Use of the Webcam requires a driver (hardware program) to be installed.
  • Depending on your situation, the driver may or may not already be on the systerm.
  • The document below explains how to install the Driver and also provides links to the Webcam Help guides for Windows 7 and Windows 8.

Install Webcam

Click the Kudos Star! 

It is a great “Thank You” for the Author's efforts to help.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

On my HP DV7-7250us the web cam was working, then the webcam quit working. The function key F5 turns the webcam off and on. The function key F5 is not marked. The user guide says function key F5 is marked with a star and dots. It is not. The user guide says the funcion key F5 'turns the radiance backlight keyboard  feature on and off.' It does not. My Envy DV7 computer does not have a radiance backlight keyboard feature. The function F5 key on my computer turns the webcam on and off. There is no setting for the webcam in the BIOS. I dare you to ask me how I know this. Someone at HP should be beaten about the head and shoulders.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.