Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi V_T,

Is there something that I could assist you with?

Thanks,

I worked on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

well hello Andy...actually i could use your help fixing that garbage in my HP Laptop ... called auto brightness ... its not a light sensor for the light of my room its for what is displayed on my screen and its **bleep** annoying so please ! fix it for me ! or i swear i will throw my laptop away 😞 and buy another brand since i am sure that crappy thing will be in all HP laptops !

P.S i tried everything they said here ... guess what no point it was useless i sitll have that annoying @#%^

HP Recommended

Thank you bro worked 🙂

HP Recommended
Product: Asus g750jw Republic of Gamers edition.

So I know this is an HP forum, but this is the first place I have found any information about this issue, anyone know how to fix it with a Nvidia GPU?
HP Recommended

Thank you 

HP Recommended

Thanks.  Like all add-ons on a HP laptop, the default AMD function is at best annoying and contrary to purpose - e.g. it increases brightness when viewing a web page with lots of, um, white [?].

HP Recommended

I'm on an HP Envy m6 laptop running Windows 8.1 with AMD A10-4600M APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics.

The post I'm replying to worked for me like a charm at first! But then I installed the Windows 8.1 update, and suddenly the 'PowerPlay' and adaptive brightness settings were gone from my AMD Vision Control center. I could not find them anywhere. I spent forever trying other tactics and tutorials, and NOTHING seemed to work. Finally, I tried a setting located in the Advanced Power Settings and it actually worked. Here's how I changed it:

Get to your power saving options. Left OR right-click your battery icon and click on 'adjust brightness'.

Once there, click on the 'change plan settings' beside the one you are currently using.

Click on 'change advanced power settings' on the bottom.

When the dialog box opens, make sure that under Display, the 'enable adaptive brightness' setting is turned off for battery and plug-in. Even though this option doesn't seem to work at all, it seems best to keep it off.

Scroll to the very bottom until you see 'ATI Graphics Power Solutions'. 

Click on it and select the ATI Powerplay settings.

Change the 'on battery' and 'plugged in' setting to 'Maximize Performace'. 

Apply your settings and laugh with glee as the screen stays exactly the same brightness as you peruse different screens! I really can't express how much I hate that adaptive brightness setting. It almost gives me headaches, so I'm happy to have found a solution to it that will hopefully help others.

HP Recommended

@Deylar wrote:

I'm on an HP Envy m6 laptop running Windows 8.1 with AMD A10-4600M APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics.

The post I'm replying to worked for me like a charm at first! But then I installed the Windows 8.1 update, and suddenly the 'PowerPlay' and adaptive brightness settings were gone from my AMD Vision Control center. I could not find them anywhere. I spent forever trying other tactics and tutorials, and NOTHING seemed to work. Finally, I tried a setting located in the Advanced Power Settings and it actually worked. Here's how I changed it:

Get to your power saving options. Left OR right-click your battery icon and click on 'adjust brightness'.

Once there, click on the 'change plan settings' beside the one you are currently using.

Click on 'change advanced power settings' on the bottom.

When the dialog box opens, make sure that under Display, the 'enable adaptive brightness' setting is turned off for battery and plug-in. Even though this option doesn't seem to work at all, it seems best to keep it off.

Scroll to the very bottom until you see 'ATI Graphics Power Solutions'. 

Click on it and select the ATI Powerplay settings.

Change the 'on battery' and 'plugged in' setting to 'Maximize Performace'. 

Apply your settings and laugh with glee as the screen stays exactly the same brightness as you peruse different screens! I really can't express how much I hate that adaptive brightness setting. It almost gives me headaches, so I'm happy to have found a solution to it that will hopefully help others.

Well, I followed this step by step (since none of the other few solutions worked for me) and found out that I already had "Maximize Performance" set for both "on battery" and "plugged in".  Sooo, *sadface*.

I also have the problem with the whole "Windows 8.1 update, and suddenly the 'PowerPlay' and adaptive brightness settings were gone from my AMD Vision Control center."  So naturally, I cannont try the whole "PowerPlay" thing that worked before I updated to Windows 8.1.  If there is any other way to get rid of this cruddy adaptive brightness that changes my brightness when viewing bright and dark items, that would be WONDERFUL!!!

Thanks!

HP Recommended

Okay, so I followed the blog page since I had no other choice.  I really wanted to get the flickering to stop!!!

http://itmishmash.blogspot.com/2014/04/how-do-i-disable-auto-brightness-on.html

It was the best decision I've made!  I followed option 3 to a T, and it worked perfectly!  The brightness never changes!  Thanks DrStinkington!

If you have "PowerPlay" on your AMD VISION Engine Control Center and you see "Enable Vari-Bright" and you uncheck that, then you're fine!  Flickering be gone!  If you like me and updated to Windows 8.1 and don't have "Enable Vari-Bright", then followed Option 3 on the blog!  Be very careful when you follow the intstructions, make sure you double check the folders you modify.  All modifying will be done through RegEdit.  Good luck and thanks again to DrStinkington!!!  Go to that blog and share it around for people with this problem!  Go, go now!!!

HP Recommended

I performed the registry edit option and it worked perfectly. I downgraded to Windows 7, and the values are still the same. THANK YOU!

After upgrading to Windows 8, then 8.1.  I did not re-install the AMD Control Catalyst software (aka AMD VISION Engine Control Center). So my screen was going crazy again.

I turned to the system registry. You can mess things up by playing in the registry, so please be careful and do so at your own risk. This will only apply to AMD graphics cards.

1. Open the registry editor by pressing Win+R and typing in regedit
  2. Browse to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0000
  3. Right-Click on the 0000 key (it looks like a folder).
  4. Select New->Dword.
  5. Name the new registry entry PP_VariBrightFeatureEnable
  6. Double-click on the PP_VariBrightFeatureEnable entry you just created.
  7. Make sure it has a value of 0
  8. Click OK, close the registry editory, and restart the machine.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.