Question

Honor Student
m1aat1000
Message 1 of 9 (1,880 Views)
Accepted Solution

How do i get my dvd drive to play blu ray disks.

The software plays other dvd's fine, but will not play Blu Ray. It is the Pavilion  dv7-3165 with Windows 7 Premium OS. I have never succeeded with this problem, and thought it would resolve with updates...

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 2 of 9 (1,873 Views)

Re: How do i get my dvd drive to play blu ray disks.

What's your full model number, dv7-3165 xx ?

What is it doing exactly, does it seem to be loading the disc and then just stop, does Media Smart say "no disc in drive", does it get to the menu section only, but will not play the movie ?

What anti virus and firewall are you running ?

Sorry for the questions, but it will be helpful to know.

Tutor
Alex12454335345
Message 3 of 9 (1,867 Views)

cheack if it is actually a blur ray drive and not a dvd drive of a fake. than download it's latest drivers 

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 4 of 9 (1,863 Views)

@ Alex

Ounce he/she gives me the full model number we can determine if in fact it has a Blu-ray reader, not all of the dv7 series came with one or the simple thing as you suggested is to look and see how many lenses there are ounce the drawer is open, there obviously should be two.

It's not a driver problem, AVG, Avira and just recently McAfee blocks certain files in the Blu-ray software and keep the disc from loading. McAfee is still working on the problem and I don't know about the others.

I will post a generic fix a little later.  :smileyhappy:

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 5 of 9 (1,859 Views)

Download Cyberlink Power DVD10 and save it to the desk top, not from a temporary folder.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp53001-53500/sp53029.exe

After it's finished, right click and go to properties and you should see what is in the screen shot.

Power DVD 10.PNG

There have been many problems with anti virus software programs blocking critical files in the Blu-ray player(s). For the most part disabling the anti virus program(s) was enough, but with McAfee it had to be totally uninstalled. So at this point uninstall your antivirus software, no matter what it is and if there is a special tool that is needed from the developer to properly uninstall it, use their tool if there is one. I know that Norton and possibly Avira requires an uninstallation tool.

Ounce it's uninstalled restart your laptop and you will get the typical warning from Windows that the world is going to come to a crashing end because you don't have an anti virus program on your computer. Just ignore this and continue with the installation of Power DVD10, note that it is important that you stay connected to the internet so that the software can properly install. The link is directly from the HP sight so there are no viruses, trojans etc. attached.

After it's done installing restart your machine. This is important.

After the restart go to the Control Panel and then Auto Play and make sure that Power DVD10 is chosen for Blu-ray discs, if it has not been chosen click on the drop down box and choose to do so and save the setting. Restart your machine and go back to Auto Play and make sure the setting has been saved.

Next, open the DVD/Blu-ray drawer with the button on the drawer face itself and let the Blu-ray load automatically with out opening Cyberlink DVD 10.

At this point you may reinstall your anti virus software, if the Blu-ray player stops working then you will have to go into its advanced settings and find what files are being blocked in the player and allow them. This is not always easy, so I would recommend using ESET (not free) or Microsoft Security Essentials (free). I have used these in the past and they have never given me any problems with my Blu-ray players.

Honor Student
m1aat1000
Message 6 of 9 (1,831 Views)

sorry for the delayed response! It is a dv 7-3165dx
Honor Student
m1aat1000
Message 7 of 9 (1,830 Views)

Thanks, trying this out right now. AVG antivirus just removed, rebooted, and it is still there lol wanting to do a scan...
Honor Student
m1aat1000
Message 8 of 9 (1,812 Views)

OK, I succeeded in installing the software, and got some rental Blu Ray discs to try. Onwe worked, the other would get through the FBI warning, but would not take off when play was selected. Both discs worked fine in a Blu Ray player. So, it appears that the drive is very touchy about the discs. Many thanks for all the help though, nice to have this feature at least part of the time!

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 9 of 9 (1,762 Views)

It could be the drive, but at this point I am not ready to throw in the towel.

Here are the installer packages from AVG to get rid of it, in case you didn't find them.

http://www.avg.com/us-en/utilities

What version of AVG do you have and is it the free version, if not what version is it ? Even after you used Windows to uninstall it and it was still scanning your machine, it did not totally uninstall.

What is the title of the Blu-ray that still won't play ?

Here is a newer version of DVD 10, save it to the desk top as before and just install it over the one you have now.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp54501-55000/sp54746.exe

As before uninstall AVG using their uninstall tool(s) if you had not done so before, keep it uninstalled while you try your movie again.

Here is the thread from Note Book Review where I get most of the HP software, it's kept up to date and it works on all models where applicable.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/hp-drivers-software-forum/519991-popular-hp-notebook-software.html

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation