Question

Honor Student
Bugz
Message 1 of 8 (8,520 Views)

How to Remove the graphics card and use the default onboard graphics card?

Hi There,

I am currently facing a situation where my graphics card started giving me problems which later led to my screen going blank. Now everytime I start my computer, the screen turns on but displays nothing.Since my warranty's expired, I can't send it in (the repair costs are $400 or so I have been quoted by HP support)

I presume the problem's with the graphics card (my laptop dv2600 has the Nvidia graphics card) and if i can remove the graphics card and turn on the integreted on-board graphics card that's existent on the Motherboard, it might solve the problem.

The product support has no information about this.

Is there guide/tutorial available for the same?

Thanks,

Bugz

Provost
Huffer
Message 2 of 8 (8,485 Views)

Re: How to Remove the graphics card and use the default onboard graphics card?

You can't do anything like that. It is not a desktop with onboard graphics and then a separate video card which can be removed. There is only one video device on the motherboard. Sorry.
Honor Student
Bugz
Message 3 of 8 (8,474 Views)

Thanks for the quick reponse. 

Hmm... so the Nvidia Graphics Card that comes with my laptop i.e. "64MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS" is not an add-on?

Given below is the config for my laptop:

HP Pavilion dv2500t customizable Notebook PC:

– Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium (32-bit)
– Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo processor T7250 (2.00 GHz, 2 MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB)
– 14.1" WXGA High-Definition HP BrightView Widescreen Display (1280 x 800)
– 4GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)
– 64MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS
HP Imprint (Radiance) + Fingerprint Reader + Webcam + Microphone
– Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 4965AGN Network Connection and Bluetooth(TM)
– 250GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
– SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-R/RW with Double Layer Support
– No TV Tuner w/remote control
– High Capacity 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery

Am i pursuing the problem in the right direction? or could there be another reason for my display being turned on but displaying nothing?

Provost
Huffer
Message 4 of 8 (8,442 Views)

No it is not an add-on. Laptops are not made that way. Even the less than 1% of  laptops with removeable video cards do not have an integrated graphics chip with an extra added video card. There is just the one video system. And yours is not a removeable video card, anyway. It is a discrete video card module soldered to the motherboard. You are applying desktop thinking to a laptop.

Likely you are caught up in the nVidia video chip debacle that affects so many HP laptops. nVidia chips have had extremely high failure rates. Just google "nVidia laptop problems". HP has a recall out there for various dv2xxx models, mostly those with AMD cpus and yours may be covered. Check here:

extended warranty info

This HP "recall" was caused by other motherboard defects but the fix would also fix your video issues...i.e. a new motherboard. 

Honor Student
SumanKP
Message 5 of 8 (6,399 Views)

[ Edited ]

I have the same problem. I am fighting with them for one year and yet they are ignorant about it. [text removed]

Intern
Intern
kot
Message 6 of 8 (6,359 Views)

You're not alone there's a whole thread about the defective card HP Pavilion dv9700 should also be on the list and many other elsewhere. I just don't know why HP keeps denying of such defect even exist. Nvidia gave them (HP, D3ll, Aple and many other) the money to repair all defective Nvidia cards affected by the poor soldering. Other companies dealt with this problem smoothly but it's such a pain with HP.

Honor Student
truffell
Message 7 of 8 (5,927 Views)

I would really like someone from HP to explain to me why my laptop is not covered by this recall but has the same symptoms as those that are covered so is now redundant.  I have had the notebook for 2 years, and purchased because HP was considered reliable but was not a cheap option. 

Can anyone please recommend my further course of action as Customer services simply say my Product is not covered....end of - Great help.

Student
piyush97
Message 8 of 8 (2,722 Views)

i have a hp pavillion dv6000 at my home. when i on it , its display just got zig zag and the laptop shuts down. i went to one hp total care service center and they repaired it for rs1800 but again it went weird and i have to again give rs 1800 . now its again getting weird, i asked them why is this problem coming again and again , they told me that it will happen every six months, and then i asked them to replace the probematic part with hp spae part but still they are saying that it will not work and i will have to throw it in dustbin. please help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation