Question

Student
iamshiva
Message 1 of 4 (930 Views)

How to enable screen brightness control in windows 8.1(laptop is hp pavilion dm4 1018tx)?

As a updated my laptop to windows 8.1 I couldn't get my brightness keys to work. The screen is very bright. As I like little tinkerings with pc before asking question to other I found that windows 8.1 takes AMD Radeon HD 5000 series display card as default which doesn't support brightness change. However when i managed to make it use intel graphics then brightness could be controlled. But on restart it again takes AMD graphics as default and I am stuck with the same problem. Please help.

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 4 (920 Views)

Re: How to enable screen brightness control in windows 8.1(laptop is hp pavilion dm4 1018tx)?

[ Edited ]

Try installing the Quicklaunch software in compatibility mode.

Please keep us advised as on the status of the issue by posting your results in your thread.

Help others seeking a solution by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Top Student
a2longhair
Message 3 of 4 (770 Views)

Re: How to enable screen brightness control in windows 8.1(laptop is hp pavilion dm4 1018tx)?

Pavilion dv7t-6000 CTO  Windows 8.1

Install Qiucklaunch software for my model in compatible mode. Did not solve problem.

Top Student
a2longhair
Message 4 of 4 (746 Views)

Start laptop on battery. (Intel graphics). Can adjust brightness. Plug in powersupply and no longer able to adjust brightness(AMD Graphics).  If laptop is started with powersuppy(AMD Graphics) will have low brightness without able to adjust.  Adjusting power plan setting have no effect. AMD graphics driver is probally the problem?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation