Question

Tutor
AlexCollins
Message 1 of 6 (4,287 Views)

How to get Minecraft to work with Switchable Graphics

[ Edited ]

I have the HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook Pc Quad Edition with Intel core i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.20GHz and switchable graphics Intel HD Graphics Family /1 GB Radeon (TM) HD 7690m XT. I also have Windows 7 64-bit. When I tried playing Minecraft I had low FPS, around 20, so in Dynamic mode I set it to use  the High Perfomance card but there was no change in performance. So, I googled what I could do and I saw that you could just change your mode to fixed where it only uses the high performance gpu for everything. I did that, and then Minecraft worked like a charm with 100+ fps, untill my computer crashed saying the AMD drivers stopped responding and have now recovered. This happens only in fixed mode and I have reinstalled Minecraft, Java (64-bit) and the drivers for both the high performance and low performance graphic cards. Please help.

Intern
JotaCL
Message 2 of 6 (4,269 Views)

Re: How to get Minecraft to work with Switchable Graphics

Tutor
AlexCollins
Message 3 of 6 (4,254 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thanks I looked at the threads and I think I found an answer. I installed the 12.2 CCC preview and everything seems to work for now. My graphics card is now listed as a 6700m HD series but I did not see any performance issues. Minecraft no longer crashes so I will just keep this set up until HP releases drivers that work. Thanks for your help.

Also I found this link to the 7900M series in AMD for a fix but it does not appear to work.

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/RC11Driver.aspx

Also after going into my computer I redid the windows index for my computer with these drivers. Even though these technically aren't the right drivers my score went from a 6.6 to a 6.9 for both graphics and gaming graphics. This just shows how badly they need to update their drivers for the 7690m XT card...

Also, does anyone know if HP will release new drivers? And if they do when exactly do they plan to release them?? Because it looks like people have been complaining about this for a while.

Tutor
AlexCollins
Message 4 of 6 (4,107 Views)

I have the Dv7 quad edition with the 7690m Xt graphics and i was wondering if it was worth it just to hand this laptop back in and exchange it for the new one that came out with the Nvidia graphics card. I'm just scared that HP won't release a good driver and that I will have many problems in the future with this laptop and its graphics card.

Tutor
AlexCollins
Message 5 of 6 (4,019 Views)

12.2 preview drivers dont really work anymore. Now it is way too laggy to play, and I know for a fact that if HP released just decent drivers, Minecraft should be able to work without any problems... Please, can anyone over me any suggestions?

Tutor
D3LUXE
Message 6 of 6 (497 Views)

Hi Alex,

I can help you with the low FPS but cannot help about the graphics card problem....

Simply download Optifine ( 1.7/1.6/1.5 )

It could be an installer..... To install:
1. Drag the Jar file to your desktop
2. Open it
3. Follow the simply instructions and open minecraft
4. Select minecraft version Optifine

OR it could be a .json and optifine file.... To Install:
1. Drag the content to your desktop
2. Click start and search "%appdata%" and click on .minecraft
3. Click Versions and make a NEW folder called Optifine
4. Drag Optifine.json and Optifine into the folder
5. Open minecraft and select optifine version!

Hoped this helped

<----------- Please Kudos!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation