Question

Honor Student
Foxcon
Message 1 of 6 (969 Views)

Hp Envy 17 horizontal lines flickers in win 8

[ Edited ]

hello!

Today i decided to upgrade my Envy 17 (1080eo) to windows 8 Pro. Win 7 was working just fine but i was curious how win 8 would be like.

Now i have these awful screen "tearing" lines that shows up if i mouseover the area where minimize/maximize/close tab is or when i load a page that needs some loading or watching a clip at youtube.

I've seen many posts about the same thing without any real solution to it. The funny part is that if i unplug my power cord (stock) it stops and acts normal but directly when i plug it back the lines starts to flicker. These flickering lines only happens in the top section of the screen and under the toolbar in windows.

There is also no flickering lines if i connect my Envy laptop  to my hd tv via hdmi cable (powercord plugged)

I recall to have the exact same problem when i used mozilla firefox in win7 but google chrome was fine so i just uninstalled firefox.  then it was only the browser that did the flickering lines.

The only solution i've come up with so far is to put my desktop into extended desktop then it works fine. no tearings/lines flickering, Only downside is that my mouse goes futher than the screen allows on the right side. 

Using latest win 8 drivers for my 5850m and latest bios version for envy 17

Do someone have a solution to this? is it my powercord? but why is it working in extended desktop and via hdmi cable.

Honor Student
jstorey
Message 2 of 6 (936 Views)

Re: Hp Envy 17 horizontal lines flickers in win 8

I have the same PC and I am having the same problem. Flashing horizontal lines at the top and bottom of the screen. I spoke with Microsoft. They ran some diagnostics and concluded that the problem is that HP has not released updated graphics drivers for our PCs. HP's website says that because our PCs were purchased and manufactured before October 2011, drivers will take longer to update, or they may not be updated at all. My PC is almost unusable. It has major issues when watching internet video like YouTube.com. I hope that HP will resolve this matter quickly.

Honor Student
Foxcon
Message 3 of 6 (930 Views)

Thank you jstorey for sharing that information!

your post clarified alot!

i went back to win 7, guess i will just have to wait for a updated graphics driver..

cheers

Top Student
BattleField
Message 4 of 6 (905 Views)

Seriously HP !!! So let me get this right, I PAID $1600 for my Envy 17 and just because  I bought it before October 2011  I have to WAIT for UNKNOWN time frame just to get my Windows 8 Graphic Driver!!!!

Student
petebob796
Message 5 of 6 (763 Views)

I was having the same flickering issues after going to Windows 8 using AMD Catalyst 12.10.

I upgraded to catalyst 12.11 (beta) and the issue is fixed.

Top Student
BattleField
Message 6 of 6 (756 Views)

Thanks for the Info. But I rolled back to Windows 7 :smileywink:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation