Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

My G42 laptop has a black screen. I cannot get it to work, I cannot start my laptop in safe mode either. I am very frustrated as I have only had this for 10 months, and unfortunately, this was  a manufacturer refurb with a 3 month warranty.  Any ideas on what to do?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I finally have given up on my windows 7 reinstall & all the problems that went with itI have

downloaded and installed Ubuntu 11.10 without any problems, so far so good. 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi,

Are the LEDs on the Caps Lock and/or Number Lock keys 'blinking'?

It's always worth trying a Hard Reset as follows.

Shut down the notebook, unplug the AC Adapter and then remove the battery.  Hold  down the Power button for a full minute.  Re-insert the battery, plug in the AC Adapter and see if the notebook will start.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

NO, a hard reset didn't work. I tried to do a system reinstall from the DVD's I made when I first  set this laptop up, but disk 3 stops at 73%, so I was able to do a system reinstall from the HP partition on the laptop.

New problem, I did the setup from the partition, Now when I reboot, I am now stuck on the blue desktop, all the desktop icons show up, But with the cursor, (which looks like a spinning circle), stops, and doesn't finish loading.

Help, Any ideas?  I can get into safe start, so with good directions I could make changes.

Thank you!

HP Recommended

Hi,

Shutdown the notebook.  Tap away at f10 as you start the notebook to enter the bios menu.  Under the Advanced or Diagnostic tab you should find the facility to run tests on both the Hard Drive and Memory.  Post back with the details of any error messages.

Can you also post back with the following.

1.  The full Model No. and Part No. of the notebook ( from the service tag underneath your notebook ).

2.  The full version of the operating system you are using ( ie Windows 7 32bit ).

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Hi DP-K

Laptop is HP model G42-230US,  Product SB056UAR#ABA,  Bios F.29,

Windows Home Premium 64 bit, System Board ID 1444.

Primary HD test-OK

Memory test-OK

Thanks

knickkc1

HP Recommended

Hi,

If this is Windows 7, use another PC to create a Windows 7 Recovery CD.  Download the  ISO from the link below.

Windows 7 64bit

You should use an application such as ImgBurn to burn the ISO to a CD.  Once created, or if you already have this, insert the CD and restart to boot from it.  Select the Repair option.

Select the 'Repair your Computer' option and follow Option 2 in the guide on the link below to run Start-up Repair – you may need to run this 2 or 3 times.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/668-system-recovery-options.html

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Hi,

I downloaded ImgBurn, and the Win 7, burned ISO, ran the repair as shown twice.

The laptop is still freezing on the desktop on restart. 

Anything I can try next?

Thank you!

knickkc1

HP Recommended

HI,

HP G42-230US  ***I've run the repair disk several times, the laptop still freezes on the desktop at startup.  I am able to work in safe mode.   I saw another post for burning and running Ubuntu, so I will try that next.

HP Recommended

I finally have given up on my windows 7 reinstall & all the problems that went with itI have

downloaded and installed Ubuntu 11.10 without any problems, so far so good. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.