Question

Student
morpheusg
Message 1 of 2 (5,217 Views)

Hp Pavilion Laptop Webcam Problem in Vista - Imaging Devices not listed under the Device Manager

Hi

Laptop Model - Hp Pavilion dv2214tu

Operating System - Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium

Webcam Driver Provider - Microsoft 

My webcam was not working since i installed vista last time.. that was some one year back...

I tried all sorts of solutions i came across on th net.

The devil was Windows Update which i came to find out later. 

The problem was that windows update had installed a driver for Sonix USB Video Camera, which was listed under USB Devices..
that was not allowing the imaging devices to be listed in the device manager and even my actual driver (provided by microsoft for my laptop model) to get installed.
while going through the forums on the net i came across a similar issue to some other guy with hp pavilion laptop.
i deleted that sonix driver along with the uninstalling it.

and woah the actual driver got installed automatically after that. :smileyhappy:

more info avaibale at http://saurabhguptasdiary.blogspot.com 

vista updates suck!! 

Honor Student
cschaer1
Message 2 of 2 (4,581 Views)

Re: Hp Pavilion Laptop Webcam Problem in Vista - Imaging Devices not listed under the Device Manager

Your problem is NOT Vista or the webcam driver (there are no drivers required for this webcam under Vista).  The problem is caused by a loose, unplugged, or deffective webcam/microphone module ribbon connector.  The ribbon connector is located inside the top (lid) of the notebook.  Repeated openning and closing of the lid can cause the ribbon connector to wear (short-out), or in some cases, to become partially or completely unplugged from the notebook's motherboard (located underneath the notebook's keyboard).

In my case, by (very) slowly openning the top (lid) to my HP X16-1040US notebook (with the speakers turned on), I was able to hear an audible tone ('doo-doo') as the notebook recongnized the webcam (at this point, the lid to my notebook was only openned approximately 4 inches!).  I was then able to run CyberLink YouCam.

The ONLY fix for this problem is to remove the battery pack, remove all the screws from the bottom of the notebook, then remove the screws which secure the keyboard, carefully remove the keyboard to expose the ribbon connector, and inspect it for wear, make sure that it's properly connected to its connector on the notebook's motherboard.

Hewlett Packard is aware of this problem but wanted me to pay $398 for them to fix it despite the fact that this known defect existed at the time of sale.

Shame on you Hewlett Packard for taking advantage of a student!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation