Question

Honor Student
Maang
Message 1 of 4 (1,499 Views)

Hp pavillion dv4 screen problem

Hi everyone,
I have an hp dv4 laptop and started to have problems with the screen, the problems is, im getting a white line on the bottom and centre of the screen also a reflection of the icons im not sure what causes this; I have uploaded a few pictures on the link below if you know how to fix  it and what part excetly do i need to change , thank you

http://i44.tinypic.com/r29p9y.jpg

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 2 of 4 (1,471 Views)

Re: Hp pavilion dv4 screen problem

[ Edited ]

Shut right down and immediately on boot up start tapping the f10 key. This will get you into the BIOS page, do you still see the white lines here ?

A better test is to connect up an external monitor, if the problem is the same on the monitor, then you have a video card problem. If the monitor has a good picture, then the video card (and mother board) are OK and the problem is specific to the screen and/or it's related component's.

How old is the dv4 and are you running NVIDIA or ATI ?

Knowing your full model number would also be helpful. :smileyhappy:

Honor Student
Maang
Message 3 of 4 (1,450 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thanks for you reply,

I have tried to go on BIOS and the lines are still there! . So now could it be from the screen itself or on of the connectors (e.g wires etc). I hope it's from the wires connected to it. I have been having this laptop for 2years.

Thanks

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 4 of 4 (1,441 Views)

[ Edited ]

One more test, start tapping the f8 button as you did with the f10, choose any choice you want to get to safe mode and see if it occurs there. It will probably show up in safe mode too if it shows up in the BIOS page.

Safe mode only uses the VGA driver.

It would be best to connect up an external monitor to be sure it's not the mother board or video card.

If you don't have one, is there a computer store near by that you can try a monitor out on ?

Some of the larger chains are accommodating.

The problem showing up in the BIOS could point to a faulty screen or a bad board, an external monitor would tell us for sure.

Also, it's unlikely it's any of the wires, bad wires cause flickering and black screens. They can short them selves out causing different colours, but the symptoms are erratic especially when the screen is moved back and forth.

If you problem is unchanging, then I would rule out any bad wires.

Another thing, press the screen with your finger (firmly, but gently) and move you finger around where the white line are, are there any changes ?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation