I am getting horizontal lines across the laptop screen and the screen jumps. HPG6 Windows 7 (28810 Views)
Top Student
sanmcgraw49
Message 1 of 11 (28,810 Views)

I am getting horizontal lines across the laptop screen and the screen jumps. HPG6 Windows 7

In October I purchased a new HP g6 laptop with Windows 7 I haven't had any problems until a few days ago when lines started going across the screen horizontally.  Today it has happened multiple times, is my display screen going bad?

Distinguished Professor
ManjunathTech
Message 2 of 11 (28,808 Views)

Re: I am getting horizontal lines across the laptop screen and the screen jumps. HPG6 Windows 7

Hi

Once unit is powered on keep tapping the F10 key check if the display is same then please contact HP Technical support and get the unit repaired.

If the unit screen works fine in Bios screen please update the Bios, Graphic & Chipset driver from the HP website this will fix your issue.

Let us know how it goes!

"I work for HP."
****Click the White Kudos star to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****

Regards
Manjunath
Top Student
berto222
Message 3 of 11 (28,775 Views)

Re: I am getting horizontal lines across the laptop screen and the screen jumps. HPG6 Windows 7

I have a G7 that I just got and I have lines, too.  They have appeared two different times as flickering lines across the top of the screen.   I have read about many people having this issue.  It is obviously a driver issue since it disappears when I shut down or in bios.  You recommended to download the latest display drivers from HP but I cant find them.  Please refer me to the driver update location.  My model is pavilion G7 - 1318dx.  Thanks for your help.

Distinguished Professor
ManjunathTech
Message 4 of 11 (28,688 Views)

Hi

How to find all drivers for specific model on HP sites?

1. Click on Support & Drivers link. (Upper part of this page.)

2. In search box type your laptop product number (p/n).

Resource:

How to Locate the Notebook p/n

3. Choose ' Next '.

4. Click ' Software & Driver Downloads '.

5. Use the dropdown selector to select correct operation system and click ' Next '. Choose:

● ' Microsoft Windows Vista ' if you are using Windows 7 32 bit

or

● ' Microsoft Windows Vista (64 bit) ' if you are using Windows 7 64 bit.

6. Click the sign next to your Audio or Graphic driver. Newest release of drivers are listed first , but not always the best solution. Previous and

Sometimes better working drivers are on the next page, found by clicking on ' (Previous versions available) ' link. You will be taken to a page

with list of all drivers starting from newest to oldest.

Let us know how it goes!

"I work for HP."
****Click the White Kudos star to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****

Regards
Manjunath
Distinguished Professor
REO51ST
Message 5 of 11 (28,681 Views)

Have tested 100,000+  LCD's and LED's.

It is not a driver.

One or more of the contacts going to the LCD/LED has separated.

Bad LCD/LED.

If under warranty send in for repair.

Need more info let me know.

Student
Piter2000
Message 6 of 11 (28,152 Views)

I am getting horizontal lines across the laptop screen. Not all time sometimes and then they despaired.  Have new HPG6 Windows 7. Have both it in best bay in April 2012.

Have check bios but because this white horizontal lines does not show all the time could not know 100%. Graphic card and bios are up-to-date. Any suggestions. Hope that is not some hardware because I am not in us now.

Top Student
berto222
Message 7 of 11 (28,091 Views)

Thanks REO for your suggestion. I wish I had read it sooner. As it turns out I had actually sent my laptop in for a different issue. The power module for my cooling fan had failed.

As for the lines on the screen, I think the bios update did fix the problem. I found the update and applied it. The problem immediately went away and hasn't returned for about two months. This update introduced a new problem. It seemed the brightest control feature of my custom power setting was competing with the HP power control settings was causing my screen to brightness to change sporadically when I unplugged power. I fixed this by uninstalling the HP controls and just using windows power controls.

So, in summary lines on screen fixed with bios update; brightness changing fixed by uninstalling HP power controls, and cooling fan failure fixed by service center replacing power module ( which they did and returned to me in two days ). I have been using the laptop every day for 6 weeks at 10 hours a day. No more of these problems although annoyed that a new laptop had so many problems.
Student
Essay
Message 8 of 11 (26,985 Views)

No kidding...I just bought a g6 3 days ago, and am already having the same issue with lines on the screen...pretty frustrating to be having issues less than a week after purchasing a new laptop.

Top Student
sanmcgraw49
Message 9 of 11 (26,939 Views)

I just updated my BIOS and it took care of the problem
Student
pezlar
Message 10 of 11 (23,448 Views)

hello hp team,

i've gotmy laptop in october 20th, Today my laptop keeps on getting lines on the screen, it only happens when ever i watch a video nothing else.

please help me out, my laptop is a: ASUS X501U

Perry Rowing

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation