I cannot turn on webcam (99 Views)
Honor Student
either
Message 1 of 2 (99 Views)

I cannot turn on webcam

HP g70 Laptop

Windows vista

Inbuilt webcam fails to turn on anymore when using skype. Cannot locate it on control panel either.

Up until recently it worked fine on skype. Then it worked intermittantly on skype and now it can not be located at all in hardware or skype.

Associate Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 2 of 2 (89 Views)

Re: I cannot turn on webcam

This worries me a bit - that the webcam worked intermittently and then quit.

There are a couple of things to try, the first of which is to Reset that notebook to give it a chance to reconnect the webcam driver to the webcam.  It's the easiest fix and it may just set things to rights:

===================================================================

The Hard Reset:

This method works for a variety of Driver connection and ‘stuck’ program issues.

• Shut down the computer
  • Disconnect all external devices - everything.
  • Remove AC power and the battery
  • Press and hold power button for at least 30 seconds
  • Reinstall the AC power for first startup ** See Note
  • Power on - Log in
  • Next time you shut down the system, reinstall battery.

** Note:  If time is short, reinstall battery the first time and be done with it.

Reference:

Hard Reset to Resolve Hardware and Software Issues

===================================================================

If changes have been made to the computer....

If you have made any changes recently, or if your system has made any changes (like updates), then it is just possible that the webcam was upset by those changes.  This is unlikely, but it could have happened.  Even though I am listing this fix next in line, save it for last.  That is, take a look at the document listed at the end of this Post and then come back and try this.  Why?  Not because it will harm your system, but because in THIS instance, System Restore may not apply to the issue at hand at much at other things that might do more good.

"Go Back in Time - The System Restore"

• Prior to making any changes to your computer, make sure you have a Restore Point. 
  • When things go sideways, you can “go back”.

Make sure Restore Protection is turned on for the C:\ drive

AND

Using Microsoft System Restore – Notebooks – Vista

NOTE:  This is System Restore and NOT Recovery.  Do not get them mixed up.  All you want to do is try to go back to an earlier date - to when the webcam worked.

Again, try this after you've tried the steps in the document below...

========================================================================

"All Things Webcam"

Here is a document to help you look for all the things that might be going on with that webcam.

Fixing Webcam Problems in Windows Vista

In the final analysis, it is possible, possible that the webcam has failed.  It does happen.  The silly, tiny little wires on these things break, get crushed, come off... all sorts of things happen to little webcams.  It is important to try all the steps that you can think of and can read about here on the forum before you give up.  If all else does fail, then you can call HP and see about getting it fixed.  You are not there yet.  Most of the time, these things DO work out pretty quickly.

I hope this helps!

Good Luck!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<<<   Click the White Kudos Star on the Left to give “Kudos / Thanks” for the help

See a Post you Like?  Throw it a Kudos!  Authors Love Kudos and they help everyone find what works!

Please Click “Accept as Solution" if the fix solves the issue.  It helps others find help faster!

Always Include:  (Computer) Product Number  ,  Printer – Model Number ,

Never give out your Serial Number

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2012 Year of the Dragon!

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation