Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi all....

Since Hp won't update BIOS for our devices and let us actually use it properly and after one year of trying to bypass the problem i managed to significantly increase my performance.

My device is Pavilion G6-1222sm running on Windows 8 64-bit ....i assume you have all your drivers up-to-date and high performance enabled on your battery as well as both amd and intel control panel......all laptops with AMD GPU could apply the following

I)Make sure your system is cleaned out of any bugs and errors...

1) Do a complete  hard disc clean-up...just right click on your system reserved hard-drive, select properties and then disc       clean-up...after the analysis select all check boxes and select OK....this will delete your rec bin,temporary files,windows update install files(you have it installed you don't need them anymore) and error report and free up some space...

2) Download a program CCleaner and clean up your registry...http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner.....this will solve any potential registry errors that can cause some other programs or whole system to perform unproperly...

3) Do a disc defragmentation.....again right click on your system drive-properties-then tools-disc defragmenet....

your laptop could be crowded with fragments of programs that are stuck in memory..this will solve it and make your lap run a bit faster.

4) Do a system check..it is just under system defrag.......select both check boxes and restart your lap..leave it while in boot for automatic system check...

II) Disable Ultra Low Power State of your AMD

as stated  we want to disable ULPS cause it causes GPU to run at minimum power......

so start Run (windows logo + R) and type regedit.....now we will find ulps registry and set its value to zero...                  press ctrl +F and type enableULPS....this will find registries we need...there should be two of them so click them and change their values to 0....note: if you run CCleaner after this step then the program will return this values to 1...be sure to do this before running CCleaner.

III) Reduce heat !!!!!

this one is very important.....we must reduce the heat anyway we can.....these are the ways to do it

-blow dust from your laptop...like this http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01657439..or take it to nearby service..it is pretty cheap service for a laptop...

-buy cooling pad if you can....

-when gaming or using some advanced programs in your work try to keep the vent of your laptop away from  any surfface....it sounds strange: mine is on the left side so i push my laptop just a bit over the edge of the table so it can blow freely....it is strange but just find the  position you are comfortable with..like this i got 20-25 FPS improvement in some games!

-try removing your battery when you don't need it and run on AC only..this won't help  that much but will stop some heat from accumulating..

-disable all programs you don't need while gaming...

That's pretty much it for now..i will update if i come across something new....

And please keep reminding Hp that we all need that BIOS update as well as new GPU drivers

Cheers

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

I did some reserch and it seems that installing 64-bit windows can solve sometimes the problem of inactive AMD graphics....

personall expierence: i installed windows 8 64-bit and downloaded windows 7 and windows 8 drivers for my gpu...i cleaned installed both of them..or at least i tried....i couldn't even see the driver chec box in install manager...only intel driver and ccc on both 7 an 8 ones....so i tried leshcat driver and it worked...i could install my driver succesfully but even with my performance slightly improved i couldn't  make amd switch always...i need bios update for that...

HP Recommended

Hi again...

I would like to advise you to try leshcat drivers for Amd/Intel gpu combo.....lates drivers are based on original amd drivers and are not as mush modified as you think since AMD started making drivers for switchable GPUs, they seem to be aware of community troubles with swithcable graphics....just make sure to folllow insturctions properly and read user reports on leshcat forums...they do help so give it a try and please post back any results on questions yiu might have..

here is the link: http://www.leshcatlabs.net/

HP Recommended

Hi 😄

I have HP Pavilion G6 2212sl with Windows 8 64-bit (F.25 HP Bios) and it works "well" (I think). My problem is when I need to update to a new driver (I remember when I had 13.4 drivers and I just upgrade to 13.12 and I had BLACK SCREEN so I needed to reset my computer to initial settings, and tried to upgrade and it worked) So... now I have perfect 13.12 AMD drivers, I have fear to upgrade to 14.4 because if the black screen repeat again I will rage so much... I see that you have posted leshcat (I really dont know what is that) so... tell me what is that 😮 (and if you can help me)

HP Recommended

HI mate

sorry you waited so long for a response. Leshcat is a guy who started writing drivers for amd+intel based laptops, and he has been around for some time. His drivers solved many problems the default drivers where having....Just follow the link i provided above, find the latest driver and there will be the link to the discussion forum, there you can see how it worked out for some people. I would recommend it since i am following him for about two years already...make sure to read the instructions first, it is very important to delete previous drivers properly...So give it a go and then please post back your impretions here and in leshcats forum so that other people could learn from your experience...

Hope you do well with next driver... Cheers 🙂

p.s.

About your black screen issue...probably you haven't properly cleaned out previous drivers or you haven't restarted your pc after the installation. post some more info if you encounter the problem again

HP Recommended

Mhhh... this "leshcat" looks amazing! I read EVERY SINGLE STEP to uninstall and install new drivers (obviously Unifl)... but if "something" doesnt go well I'll need to reset AGAIN my computer. So, before installing new drivers, how do I back-up EVERYTHING THATS ON MY COMPUTER (Every file, game and other stuff. My connection is limited to 1GB a day so... I let you imagine my problem 😧 ) without re-installing them? I'm curious if these "leshcat" drivers can solve all of my problem 😄

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.