Question

Student
JScottPrice
Message 1 of 5 (31,404 Views)

Increasing allocated video memory through BIOS?

Hello. I'm hoping this is the right forum for this, so here's my question.

How do I increase the amount of shared video memory on my pc?

I have an HP Pavilion sv5 Notebook.

AMD Turion X2 Ultra Dual-Core Mobile ZM-80 2.1 GHz

4 GB of ram

Vista 64bit

I have an ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics Card with 256 MB of dedicated memory.

The PC specs under properties say 1918 MB video memory is available.

I of course don't want to raise it quite that high, I just want to increase the video memory to 512, doubling the dedicated amount.

I followed a few walkthroughs on using the BIOS interface to increase the allocated video memory, but the interface screen I was getting and the screenshots on the walkthrough were slightly different, and I couldn't pinpoint the method.

Could anyone assist me on this? Perhaps I'm going about it the wrong way with Vista64. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Provost
Huffer
Message 2 of 5 (31,383 Views)

Re: Increasing allocated video memory through BIOS?

You cannot do anything with it and you do not need to. Your video system permanently grabs a specific amount of system memory for video (say 256 megs) and then it can pull additional memory from Windows as needed up to some silly amount as you say. So if you ever are doing anything that requires filling up 512 megs with video data, your system will do it on the fly. You likely do not need 512 of video memory very often, if ever, even if you are trying to play games. The onboard video just is not powerful enough to pump pixels through the system fast enough to need such a big reservoir (video memory).

Consumers still seem to equate the raw amount of video memory with video performance and it has gotten way more complex that, but manufacturers still try to dazzle and confuse with claims of large amounts of video memory as if that makes a gaming system. No matter how much memory you give it, an integrated or onboard video system is still vastly inferior to a true dedicated video memory system. 

Grad Student
ClintonTam
Message 3 of 5 (31,221 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi Steven:

You are correct. Most the end users confuse the Graphics Performance with the size of the Video Memory for Graphics Controller.

However, I would like to provide the following information on ATI Radeo HD 3200 to show the newer generation of the Integrated Graphics Controllers are quite powerful and it is feasible to play games with this Graphics Controller.

From the url below

http://www.notebookcheck.net/ATI-Radeon-HD-3200.9591.0.html

It shows the integrated HD 3200 Graphics Controller has some of the features that no other Graphics Controllers ( Intel and nVidia ) have. Features such as

1. Hardware to support DirectX 10.

2. A new UVD block to decode HD videos (MPEG-2, H.264, and VC-1) in all stages and allows the fluent playback of HD videos (e.g. Blu-ray) with a relative low CPU utilization.

All AMD/ATI Graphcis Controller ( either Discrete or Integrated ) are equipped with a HyperMemory feature in Graphics Driver to provide the on demand feature to request more system memory for display. There is no need to "lock-down" additional system memory space for the Graphics Controller.

Message Edited by ClintonTam on 02-07-2009 11:11 PM
Provost
Huffer
Message 4 of 5 (31,204 Views)

Clinton I always defer to your technical expertise, and I agree that the newest generation of onboard graphics is a huge improvement over just a few years ago. But running graphics processing through the CPU is always going to be inferior to having a separate gpu and separate video memory. Discrete graphics have also improved a lot in recent months and onboard solutions continue to lag behind but it is true that today's onboard systems are game-worthy and good for most anything most of the consuming public can throw at them.
Student
Fardin221
Message 5 of 5 (1,430 Views)

Hi every one. I have a HP pavilion g6 series laptop with i3 processor of 2.4GHz and Intel HD graphics of dedicated 64 mb. I have tried to increase it to 256 using bios but couldnt find any options.

Can any one tell me how can I increase it. Any software, hp devices or any ways. Thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation