Question

Honor Student
daveb40258
Message 1 of 6 (793 Views)

Intel Graphics Media accelerator HD When can we get drivers newer than 2009?

I have always owned HP notebooks however I have noticed that HP is very very slow with driver updates.  Why is it Intel has constant updates to keep up with the new games yet HP does nothing?

I am tempted to install the updated drivers on the Intel website but would like to know if those drivers will hurt more than help?

Has anyone successfully done this?

SYSTEM:

HP Pavilion Dv6 2150US Entertainment Notebook PC

Intel I3core 4gb ram 320gb HDD and 1TB HP Simple Save external HDD storage. Running Win 7Home Premium 64bit sp1

BIOS F1C

Info from HP Support Assistant :

Intel Graphics Media Accelerator HD 1366x768 60hz 1,696MB Graphics Memory Driver 8.15.10.1968 (20091008)

info from intel Website: Basic

Collapse/ExpandGRAPHICS INFORMATION Graphics Product [1] Intel® HD GraphicsGraphics Driver Version not detected 3D Acceleration Yes Hardware Transform & Lighting Support Yes Video Memory 1.7 GB Vertex Shader Support 4.0 Pixel Shader Support 4.0 Microsoft DirectX* Version 11.0

Info from Intel Website: Advanced

GRAPHICS INFORMATION Graphics Product [1] Intel® HD Graphics Graphics Driver Version not detected Driver Status Customized computer manufacturer driver is installed 3D Acceleration Yes Hardware Transform & Lighting Support Yes Video Memory 1.7 GB Vertex Shader Support 4.0 Pixel Shader Support 4.0 Microsoft DirectX* Version 11.0 Current Graphics Resolution 1366x768 Current Color Depth 32 Bits Per Pixel Raw EDID[1] not detected

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 2 of 6 (792 Views)

Re: Intel Graphics Media accelerator HD When can we get drivers newer than 2009?

Run this utility from Intel, I find it easier then hunting in their site for specific drivers.

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect

As with any driver it is always a good idea to create a Windows manual restore point before going ahead in case things go wrong. You should be OK as I have used Intel's utility and it works fine on HP computers.

Save the driver package to the desk top and install it from there, not from a temporary folder. The utility may also find a more up-to-date chipset driver too, install that first before the video driver.

Honor Student
daveb40258
Message 3 of 6 (790 Views)

Re: Intel Graphics Media accelerator HD When can we get drivers newer than 2009?

Ya I love that detect program they have.  Thanks so much for the fast reply I will give it a shot and keep you all posted for others with the same issue!

Honor Student
daveb40258
Message 4 of 6 (785 Views)

For the Chipset it said the driver was valid woohoo!

Ok I got this message for the Graphics driver.  I take it disregard this message and update the driver anyway?

Product Detected Intel® HD Graphics Current Driver Installed 8.15.10.1968 A customized computer manufacturer driver is installed on your computer. The Intel Driver Update Utility is not able to update the driver. Installing a generic Intel driver instead of the customized computer manufacturer driver may cause technical issues. Contact your computer manufacturer for the latest driver for your computer.

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 5 of 6 (781 Views)

If you're not having issues with your present video driver then don't update it, if you get a message like that, it probably won't install anyway.

With me, I like to satisfy my curiosity and I would go ahead, but create a manual restore point as I have mentioned.

Proceed at your own risk here, but I doubt of the laptop will self destruct, it's a just a driver, if it was a BIOS update, I would not go ahead.

Honor Student
daveb40258
Message 6 of 6 (746 Views)

Well apparently you can not update your Intel drivers with out it being HP specific  drivers.  Which I guess is a good safety precaution.  I still feel as new games come out HP should take the time to update video and sound drivers to be able to play those games. I mean what's this point in owning a so called "Entertainment Notebook"  if you can't play the latest entertainment?

Come on HP how about a little help here.  Other than a wireless Lexmark printer everything I own is HP.  I remember years ago when I built desktops from scratch I would NEVER buy proprietary systems cause your at their mercy.  But I liked my first HP laptop so much I went all HP.  I am beginning to think that maybe I should have stuck to my original thoughts. It's so easy on a desktop to just but the next version video card or sound card, now I have to hope and pray when I double click a program it doesn't crash because i have outdated drivers. 

But someone suggested looking at the recommended stetting of the game i want to play ands even though I have Direct X 11 if the game calls for Direct X 9c I should revert to 9c....So I'm going to try that.  Otherwise I'll patiently wait for new drivers or my next machine I'll build myself or go Dell..

Thanks for all your replies

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation