Question

Tutor
novasource
Message 1 of 11 (1,366 Views)
Accepted Solution

Intermittent pixelation, fuzz, and color reduction (with pictures)

[ Edited ]

EDIT: Are the images below not showing for you? I uploaded them through the forum. Any tips on making them show? I didn't select the option to make them private.

We bought a new DM4 1160-US a few days ago. Occasionally, we'll get what looks like pixelation, fuzz, or color reduction out of the blue. Putting the PC to sleep then reviving it clears it up.

We're using the original Windows 7 x64 OS. Nothing fancy is installed. All drivers are at their latest revision per Windows Update and HP online driver downloads.

Below are photos of the problems. What they don't show is how some pixels will start flickering or randomly blinking.

Most the time, the display is fine. We haven't found a way to reliably reproduce. Happens when it's been on a long time or not. Has no correlation to sustained CPU use. (In fact, this laptop hasn't experienced much serious CPU use at all.) It's not an externally-induced overheating issue, like if you were to block the vents--it even happens when sitting for a while on a table in a cool room.

This is a photo of the desktop with the default Windows 7 background image. Note how the gradient in the background looks like something you'd see in a 16 color image. And notice the random white stripes across the notes.

desktop.JPG

In case you think it's a problem with how I set my video properties, let me assure you, it's not that. The video properties have not budged from using the screen's full resolution in 32 bit color mode. Plus, putting the computer to sleep and waking it up shouldn't change my settings. Finally, there's no setting that shoud cause pixels to flicker.

Look at how solid black characters have non-black pixels:

sampletext.JPGIf you reduced to a 16 color mode, you might expect some problems with how pixels on the edge translate becuase of the anti-aliasing, but above you see the characters have weirdly-colored pixels at random throughout the characters.

Now, to cap it off is this picture of my systray:
systray.JPG

Note the random coloration. The background behind this is a solid color, so a translucency effect doesn't explain it.

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 2 of 11 (1,342 Views)

Re: Intermittent pixelation, fuzz, and color reduction (with pictures)

This is not something that can be fixed with a driver upgrade. The screen is defective or the cable itself has become disconnected from the motherboard or where it plugs into the screen, or both. Possibility of the video card becoming defective.

It's a hard ware problem, it's only a few days old, go back to where you bought it from or contact HP.

Personally I would just return it and get a new one, even when this is fixed, who know what else may go wrong.

A new computer should not be doing this and you should not have to piss around with it to get it to work.

Tutor
novasource
Message 3 of 11 (1,335 Views)

Thank you. We did exactly that tonight at Office Depot. I consulted with a coworker for a 2nd opinion, and he affirmed my (and your) gut opinion that it's defective.

Tutor
novasource
Message 4 of 11 (1,242 Views)

Just wanted to confirm that it was indeed a defective HP laptop. The replacement unit has no problems.

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 5 of 11 (1,209 Views)

Thanks for the update, you would be surprised how many people get a detective machine home and try to fix it.

If it has problems right out of the box, it's probably a lemon.

Top Student
Classicguy
Message 6 of 11 (1,056 Views)

I am having the exact same issue with my dm4-1160us with the identical pixelation problems you show in your screenshots.  In addition, there are times when I start up from hibernation that the screen is almost completely washed out and blank.  I can faintly see icons.  My warranty is still good but only for about another month.  What should I do and if I need to return it, how is that done? Thank you for any help with this.

Tutor
novasource
Message 7 of 11 (1,052 Views)

Return it. It's HP's problem. Just take some pictures of the screen for documentation in case you can't reliably reproduce it. I'm talking about using a handheld camera, not Print Scrn key.

Top Student
Classicguy
Message 8 of 11 (1,050 Views)

What is the process used for returns?  Do I need to get an RA from HP?

Thanks!

Tutor
novasource
Message 9 of 11 (1,049 Views)

Check HP support. Mine was new enough that I was able to return it to the retailer.

Top Student
Classicguy
Message 10 of 11 (991 Views)

Returned my machine to HP for repair and after less than a month from receiving it back, the same issue is occurring.

Very frustrating!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation