Question

Student
mastermesh
Message 1 of 2 (1,621 Views)

Is it possible to upgrade the graphics card on a HP Pavilion DV9700?!?

Hi.  Is it possible to upgrade the graphics card on a HP Pavilion DV9700?!?  If so, how do you do it?  Can you point me to a technician in my area that can do it?  The sticker on the laptop says something like "up to 1078 mb shared graphics memory" - silly me... I believed that was how much was in there that could be dedicated to graphics... It turns out that the BIOS options only let me dedicate 128 MB of memory to graphics.  That's not good when I need at least 512 mb of dedicated graphics memory to access some online games that I play such as Entropia Universe... Please help.  I need better graphics, and am not sure if it's possible to get it... even though the labeling on this from HP says that it can have "up to 1078 mb"... is that false advertising?!?... Regardless of whether it is or not, how can I upgrade if it can have up to that amount?!?

Tutor
SpiritHorizon5
Message 2 of 2 (1,602 Views)

Re: Is it possible to upgrade the graphics card on a HP Pavilion DV9700?!?

The answer is no, unless in some instances when your graphics card fails and they no longer have the graphics card available, so they would need to put in another one. Removing graphics cards in laptops is very difficult and may not be worth the risk of damaging other components in your laptop (basically disassembling the whole laptop), and in the case of an integrated graphics card, those are a part of the motherboard itself and cannot be removed. So your basically stuck. You'd have to sell yours and buy a new one or just buy a new laptop period if you want to play games. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation