Question

Student
kps2120
Message 1 of 2 (24,763 Views)

Is there any way to turn the webcam off?

I have a new HP Pavilion dv5t with a built-in webcam and it works perfectly.  I have had no issues with people not seeing me or anything like that.  So, here's the problem.  Let's look at AIM, for example.  If someone wants to go on the webcam with you on AIM, and you have a built in webcam, yours will automatically load and they will see you too.  I don't always want to be on it, but sometimes my friends will want to show me something.  Same holds true for some websites- they automatically detect the webcam, and if you have it, it will broadcast it.

Is there any way to turn this off, ASIDE from disabling it in the device manager?  That works, except that if I decided I wanted to go on it I have to restart the computer, and that can get awfully annoying if I changed my mind a few times.

I'm guessing there is no way to do this, but maybe someone knows of one.  Thanks in advance!

Master's Graduate
CorMit
Message 2 of 2 (24,737 Views)

Re: Is there any way to turn the webcam off?

Hello kps2120,

Disabling the webcam in device manager would be the only way to stop it from functioning ... there is no settings that i can think of that would disable it for certian programs or anything .. hope someone else can give a better answer ..

--------------------------------
Pavilion DV2714CA, Vista Home Premium 32bit(Successfully running Windows XP Pro SP2), Intel T2330 1.60 GHz, Intel Graphics Accelerator X3100, 4GB RAM, 160 GB HDD --Do everyone a favor Post back your results, Resolved or Not - LEAVE KUDOS !
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation