Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended

Hi,

I have a presario  F700 series.

The motherboard of the laptop died and needed to be replaced so a new motherboard was bought along with a new fan assembly, everything was installed and the laptop started correctly,  (showing HP invent instead of the Compaq).....

The OS was installed (Windows Vista).

After about 7 hours of use the screen started to look weird, in a reddish background, so I opted to restart the laptop (in case the problem was Windows), but my surpise was that at boot up, at the BIOS screen, the screen got red right away and stays with a red background all the time. Windows starts correctly and the picture can be seen correctly only reddish.

There is no point on reinstalling the OS since the problem can be observed from boot up.

¿Could it be that the inboard video card of the new motherboard is defective or could it be something else?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Based on your information, there are the most likely causes for your problem;

1. The Graphics Controller is defective. It worked when you first power up. Unfortunately after it heated up, it slowly lost some degree of Green and Blue output to your display panel. That is why it is mostly Red.

2. You may not install the LVDS cable ( between your motherboard and LCD panel ) correctly. The connection at the motherboard side did not make a good contact due to the internal heat generated after 7 hours of operation. In this case, open up the notebook again to see if you can reseat the LVDS cable to correct this reddish problem.

3. The worst scenario is your LCD panel is defective.

Try to reseat the LVDS cable and report back your findings.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Based on your information, there are the most likely causes for your problem;

1. The Graphics Controller is defective. It worked when you first power up. Unfortunately after it heated up, it slowly lost some degree of Green and Blue output to your display panel. That is why it is mostly Red.

2. You may not install the LVDS cable ( between your motherboard and LCD panel ) correctly. The connection at the motherboard side did not make a good contact due to the internal heat generated after 7 hours of operation. In this case, open up the notebook again to see if you can reseat the LVDS cable to correct this reddish problem.

3. The worst scenario is your LCD panel is defective.

Try to reseat the LVDS cable and report back your findings.

HP Recommended

After my posting this is what I did to troubleshoot the problem.

Connected an external monitor and restarted the computer, the LCD of the laptop was still red but the external monitor was showing the image ok, so this made me wonder if the LCD of the laptop was at fault.

So I did reopen the speakers cover and checked the connector of the LCD, it seemed to be ok but still I did disconnect and reconnect it and turned on the computer,and ....

The second option from Clinton was correct, the laptop started correctly with all the colors ok and no problems. It has been working for 24 hrs already and seems to be ok, so problem solved.

Thank you for the help.

HP Recommended

I have been having the same problem with my HP G70.  If I move the Lap Top Screen Im getting red and black pixelation across the screen or if theres a slightest vibration the screen goes red and black.  Can anyone help please?

HP Recommended

So, how is this problem fixed?  Do I have to send it in for repairs?  It just started doing this today.

HP Recommended
Hi,if you have recently updated your p.c and seen the red lcd effect,it could be a software you installed that controls the color temperature of brightness,try unistalling it. It worked for me and myb it would for you too. Goodluck.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.