LCD white pixels turned cyan with flickering, red pixels on black (5492 Views)
Honor Student
Jasim9
Message 1 of 5 (5,492 Views)

LCD white pixels turned cyan with flickering, red pixels on black

[ Edited ]

Well I bought this laptop two years ago from Best Buy.

It is G42 series and has AMD Mobility Radeon HD 4250 and AMD Phenom 2 Processor.

Early this year, its lcd went crazy every color that should be white is cyan, there are white flickering vertical lines on the screen.  And there are redish pixels on the black color, it is not os specific problem, same problem is seen during boot up. So it is a hardware issue. I went to a repair shop and he said the lcd cable was causing the problem. He replaced it, charged 25$ for it and it worked fine. After a week, the lcd again went in the same condition. I took the laptop back to the repair shop, this time he fixed it for free, said over heating was causing problems...

Now I am pretty sure that LCD is fine. Since the problem was temporarily resolved without changing the lcd. I am also sure that the graphic card is fine, bacause the display is fine on external monitor. 

Now after two months the LCD has gone crazy again. It is the exact same problem. Occasionally the lcd/ display becomes normal for few minutes but then back to abnormal again. So I think it is a loose connection or something similar. I am unable to get it fixed and I do not trust the repair shops here and there is no HP service center. 

If anyone else had the same problem and were able to fix it please help me out. I like this laptop it has served me well in the past two years.

Distinguished Professor
Kyle_W
Message 2 of 5 (5,462 Views)

Re: LCD white pixels turned cyan with flickering, red pixels on black

Could you please give me the exact product number for your computer?

If you need help finding it, you can use the following link:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?tmp_renderType=findModel&cc=us&dlc=en&docname=c00033108&...

Thanks,

Kyle

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
Honor Student
Jasim9
Message 3 of 5 (5,459 Views)

[ Edited ]

Here is the product number and serial number taken from HP support assistant. 

Product Number : XZ049UA#ABA

{Personal Information Removed}

And there is an update: 

I tried the ATI catalyst control center settings. Went to desktop properties, lowered the contrast value down to 90 and the cyan flickering has gone.

But I know the problem has not been fixed because there are still red pixels on black backgrounds such as during boot/ start up , around the HP logo etc. 

Defaulting the contrast value makes the screen go bad again.

Please help me out here, it is a reason for concern in buying HP products for my family...

Student
SueMacMann
Message 4 of 5 (5,358 Views)

I have this same problem too! My Pavilion dv-7 is about 5 years old and I take care of it extremely well. However about two months ago this problem with the background began.  The background, where it should be white became cyan fine lines, and there is red flickering around items like the icons on my desktop.

What I have noticed is that when I've been using the laptop for a while (2-3 hours) and it starts to get hot, it sometimes clears up and goes away! However, once it cools down, the problem does come back. In trying to research this problem, I have found that overheating may have something to do with it - with fixing it! What that could be, I don't know, but I would think somebody at HP should know how to resolve this problem. Or at least tell me what the problem is so when I do take it to someone to get fixed, they'll know what to look for.

HP Support Agent
TwoPointOh
Message 5 of 5 (5,328 Views)

Hi SueMacMann. If the pixel issue happens on boot then it is most certainly requires hardware troubleshooting. Since overheating can certainly cause this sort of issue, I would suggest you first go though the troubleshooting for overheating which I have included.

Beyond that, if you can recreate the issue after going through those steps you will want to contact support for more options.

Reducing Heat Inside the PC to Prevent Overheating:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01657439&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_r1002_us...

HP technical support: 800-474-6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region please click the link below to get the support number for your region. http://www.hp.com/cgi-bin/hpsupport/index.pl

TwoPointOh
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation