Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Model: HP ENVY TouchSmart m6-k022dx Sleekbook

My screen brightness keeps changing by itself, and I'm not talking about due to lack of use (i.e. screen saver). It is highly annoying how do I make it stop. It changes by itself in both directions, light to dark and dark to light.

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Hello Bite_Me,

Welcome to the HP Forums! I hope you enjoy your experience!

I understand the computer's screen brightness randomly changes. I will do what I can to help you with this!

I will provide a document on troubleshooting display brightness issue. The document will provide settings and fixes to resolve the random adjustment: Resolving Problems with the Brightness of the Display

I believe this information will help resolve this issue. Either way, please post your results. Thanks for posting on the HP Forums. Have a great day!

Mario

I worked on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

Our HP laptop also is changing the brightness up and down all by itself, and the brightness icon is in the middle of the screen no matter what you are doing.      How can we turn off the brightness icon...?   Or stop it from running amuck?

Thanks.

A Dennis

HP Recommended

Hey @adobewall ,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I see your brightness settings are all out of whack.

I would suggest updating the drivers from the HP - Drivers & Downloads website. You will need your exact model and operating system to search this site properly. For information on finding your product and model numbers click here: How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number? To see which version of Windows you are using click here: Which Windows operating system am I running?

If updating the drivers does not help please respond with the model and operating system you are using so I can provide a better answer.

Thanks! Smiley Happy

Great-Deku-Tree
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Thank you.   I got to the page where I have to choose which drivers to download...  Audio, Chipset, Graphics, (graphics has two choices, NVIDIA HD 9.18.13.614,291.99M   OR   8.15.10.2712,151.89M  ...  which one?)   or Keyboard, Mouse, Input

Netowrk

Storage

BIOS

DIAGNOSTIC

Diagnostic

Firmware

Operating system

Software

Utility - tools

too many choices... How do I know which one will stop my brightness icon from coming onto my screen and by itself going up and down, brighter and dimmer, etc.  

Thank you for SPECIFIC help.   I'm only mildly computer savvy.    Ann

HP Recommended

My computer with the brightness problem is

HP Pavilion dv7t-7000 CTO Quad edition entertainment Notebook PC

#A3F83AV

ser    2CE3381234

Bios F.29

Thanks...Ann

HP Recommended

Hey adobewall,

My apologies, I should have been more specific as to which drivers you need to install. We only need to update the graphics card drivers.

Since your notebook is a CTO (Call-to-order / custom build) model I do not have access to the exact hardware installed.

For me to provide you an exact driver I would need you to tell me which graphics card (GPU) you have in your notebook. To find this open Device Manager (Windows Key + R > Type devmgmt.msc and click OK) and expand the Display adapters. This should show which GPU you have installed in your notebook.

You will also need to know which operating system (OS) you have. To see which version of Windows you are using click here: Which Windows operating system am I running?

Once you've determined which GPU and OS you have you should be able to download the appropriate drivers from the page. There are NVIDIA and Intel drivers. Some notebooks have 2 GPU's and require both drivers. If you only see the Intel HD GPU in the list do not install the NVIDIA drivers. 

If you still need help installing the drivers let me know which OS and GPU you have in your notebook and I will provide the appropriate link. 🙂

Great-Deku-Tree
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Yes I do need help.. it is just flashing on and off all the time now... 

Intel(r) HD Graphics 4000

Windows 7 Home Premium

Service Pack 1

Thank you for your continued help.   I wouldn't be able to do it on my own.    Ann

HP Recommended

Hey adobewall,

Try installing the following driver: Intel High-Definition (HD) Graphics Driver

Let me know if that works. 🙂

Great-Deku-Tree
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

I have it installed -  thank you so much for the very specific information.    The computer is in use now and so far that icon and all, hasn't come up.     What a relief!   

Thank you.   We'll try it a few days and let you know if we see it again.

Ann

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.