Question

Honor Student
jessie-leigh
Message 1 of 2 (3,830 Views)

Laptop Screen Problems

My Laptop: HP Pavilion dv5 1113us  Windows Vista 64-bit

Okay.  For the past 2 months my screen has been flickering.  Horizontal or vertical lines would go across my screen, matching the color of whatever window I had open.  I could tilt my screen at a different angle, and it would stop.  Recently, my screen started "jumping."  The image is there, but it moves/a quick flicker up and down.  Also, a short grey line sometimes flicks through the screen (it kind of looks like static on a TV).  Then, last night, my screen was totally black.  The computer loaded just fine, but the screen looked like it were off.  And today--what the heck?--my screen is working again.  It still flickers, but there was no black.  I spoke with HP customer support, and he told me it was probably the LCD screen, and his estimate was $400.  At that point, I may as well just buy a new laptop, but this thing is barely 3 years old!  Could it be a bad connection?  What would that cost to have fixed?  And, where is a good place to go for this kind of repair?

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 2 (3,827 Views)

Re: Laptop Screen Problems

HI,

jessie-leigh wrote:

My Laptop: HP Pavilion dv5 1113us  Windows Vista 64-bit

Okay.  For the past 2 months my screen has been flickering.  Horizontal or vertical lines would go across my screen, matching the color of whatever window I had open.  I could tilt my screen at a different angle, and it would stop.  Recently, my screen started "jumping."  The image is there, but it moves/a quick flicker up and down.  Also, a short grey line sometimes flicks through the screen (it kind of looks like static on a TV).  Then, last night, my screen was totally black.  The computer loaded just fine, but the screen looked like it were off.  And today--what the heck?--my screen is working again.  It still flickers, but there was no black.  I spoke with HP customer support, and he told me it was probably the LCD screen, and his estimate was $400.  At that point, I may as well just buy a new laptop, but this thing is barely 3 years old!  Could it be a bad connection?  What would that cost to have fixed?  And, where is a good place to go for this kind of repair?

Try connecting an external display to your notebook. Start up your notebook  and hold  the function key and press the F key that has what looks like a monitor on it. You should see a normal Windows desktop on the external display.

If the external display is a normal Windows desktop when  thenotebook's display is black, then the issue is the notebook's display. However if you are able to see a normal display on the notebook's LCD by moving the angle of the screen then it might be a loose connection. 

Using the external display is the best way to troubleshoot and isolate display issues.  

If your notebook is out of warranty you can still have the repair done by a certified technician in a notebook shop for under $400.00. If it is just a loose connection the cost will be far less.

Best regards,
erico

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****
You can say thanks by clicking on the Kudos thumbs up icon

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation