Laptop display goes black when fully opened. (644 Views)
Honor Student
stanky
Message 1 of 4 (644 Views)

Laptop display goes black when fully opened.

Any ideas why my display would go black when fully opened?  It works fine when slightly opened and the laptop works well with a monitor.

Honor Student
orobb68
Message 2 of 4 (635 Views)

Re: Laptop display goes black when fully opened.

Stanky, I had this exact same problem before with an HP DV5 Laptop.  The problem was the video cable.  It can wear on the wires each time you open & close the lid... over time, it can wear through one or more of the wires.  Replacing the cable only cost $14 and totaly fixed the problem.  Might be the same with yours.  Other problems that can occur is the video inverter can go bad, though it doesn't sound as if this is your problem.  This usually manifests by flickering screen, lines, odd coloration, etc.  Easily fixed if the inverter is a type that can be detached from the back of the LCD panel (like in earlier DV5 laptops) but more espensive in later models (such as my DV7-4165).  In these later models, the inverter is integrated into the LCD; if it goes bad, the entire LCD needs to be replaced.  Hope this helps.

Honor Student
stanky
Message 3 of 4 (634 Views)

Thank you for your advice.  It does appear to be mechanican to me.  I looked for a switch that signals when the laptop is opened or closed, or any wire, but can see nothing.  Did you replace the cable yourself?  I do not have a trusted repair technician so am afraid anyone I take it too will "find" major expensive problems.  Have you had any luck with Best Buy or other chains like that?  Thanks again for taking the time to help! - Stan

Student
Fcunsrial
Message 4 of 4 (136 Views)

I have the same problem. My screen works well when I open it up to about 100 degrees. Beyond that it turns greyish. I'appreciate any help

Thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation