Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have a Pavilion D7.  My screen is so bright I cannot find fill-in boxes or sometimes read numbers on the screen.  I can adjust brightness, but it does not help.  Can I adjust my laptop screen contrast?  If so, how?  Thanks for your help.

31 REPLIES 31
HP Recommended

I am suddenly having the same problem. Everything looks like it has a terrible glare. I can hardly read text that isn't in black. Adjusting the brightness doesn't solve this .

I hope someone can help!

thank you in advance

HP Recommended

HP Recommended

the screen on tc4200 tablet has gone very dark i have replaced it with another screen but it is just the same can anybody help  please

HP Recommended

I have a new HP dv6  with poor contrast. I can adjust the brightness ok but have been unable to adjust contrast. Any advice will be appreciated.

HP Recommended

I have a brand-new HP ENVY 14-1112TX laptop and I have the same/similar problem as other posters here.

Display brightness is adjustable, but I need to adjust the contrast to be able to reduce the glare and improve clarity of the displayed information/graphics. It's all too glary otherwise - but there is no contrast control.

Superb laptop, but seems like bad ergonomics on the display side.

Any help would be welcome.

Otherwise I may have to return the laptop as being "not fit for purpose" as my eyes cannot stand the glare (eyestrain).

HP Recommended

I am searching the 'Net for an answer to this, rather than wait for a response on this discussion forum.

If I find anything useful, I shall post it here.

HP Recommended

I found the answer posted for another question. Go to all programs  then catalyst Control Centre  then advanced. There are brightness, contrast and colour adjustments. much poking around and you will find a full adjustment panel including gamma.  Since adjusting my laptop it was great but It appears to be creeping out of adjustment again ( brightness and contrast) so i suspect a software fault.

Good luck.

Peter

HP Recommended

@peter130542:

Many thanks for that informative post. I had not yet stumbled upon that control panel in CCC (Catalyst Control Centre).

I have used the contrast adjustment - reduced it from 100 to 86 - and my laptop display is now less glary and displays more clearly. I readjusted the ClearType settings after doing this.

I shall play around with the controls some more, but the new settings are already an improvement.

Thanks again.

IainB

HP Recommended

I too had an annoying contrast issue that seems to have been affecting other users. I have an HP Pavilion DV6, 6Gb RAM, with AMD Radeon 6620G/3520M APU.

Essentially - the screen contrast & colors were OK when plugged in, but on battery it looked all washed out and just wansn't right.

I solved it by finding a little setting in the AMD Vision Engine Control Center (AMD video) settings. So I right-clicked on the desktop in Win7, selected the AMD Vision thingy, then, in the Power section, clicked PowerPlay, then unchecked the box marked Enable Vari-Bright. This immediately solved the problem and the contrast is the same now on battery or power.

🙂

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.