Laptop screen doesn't work but works using external monitor (15043 Views)
Student
qwertynyc56
Message 1 of 3 (15,043 Views)

Laptop screen doesn't work but works using external monitor

So here's the story:

A few days ago I was watching a video and the AC plug was loose so it wasn't charging my laptop.  I guess it used up all the power from the battery so it completely shut down.  Now this isn't the first time this has happened but I ussually just plug the AC adapter back in and reboot my comp and everything goes back to normal.  However, this time the screen doesn't come back on. 

I plugged it into an external monitor with a VGA and the picture is there.  Does anyone know what might be causing this?  I don't think the laptop screen is dead because after I plugged in the external monitor, I went to the Nvidia Control Panel and duplicated my screen on the laptop screen.  When I do this the backlight comes on on my laptop screen, however there is still no picture. 

Tutor
Manas_Das
Message 2 of 3 (14,997 Views)

Re: Laptop screen doesn't work but works using external monitor

Try doing a hard reset. Shut down the notebook, disconnect the AC adapter, take out the battery. Disconnect external device if connected to the notbeook. Then press and hold the power button on the notebook for 60 seconds. Once done reconnect the battery and ac adapter. Check whether it solves the problem or not.

If the issue remains, start the notebook connect the external monitor the notebook. Press the FN+F4 key till you get the display on the notebook screen only. Once it's done disconnect the monitor and restart the notebook and check.

Student
dpkkgyl
Message 3 of 3 (14,975 Views)

Re: Laptop screen doesn't work but works using external monitor

[ Edited ]

Am facing same problem of output coming only on screen conected through HDMI and not on laptop screen. The power cord was plugged i to the laptop and the battery was sufficiently charged at the time the problem surfaced.

Contacted HP support on telephone and for the past two days tried all of the above including restoring to earlier point and updating and installing BIOS and display driver update to no avail. Still awaiting solution from HP!!!

Laptop: Compaq Presario CQ42 with AMD Athlon II P340 Dual Core Processor

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation