Question

Honor Student
Gifted1
Message 1 of 6 (1,704 Views)

Laptop screen goes black but back light is still on. Can see images on the screen sometimes. Help!

So I go to the bathroom and I come back to my laptop and the screen is black but the back light is still on. I pressed the power button to put it in hibernate mode and when i did that, I could see a flicker of my desktop before it went to hibernate. I pressed the power button to start to computer up again and I see a flicker of my desktop again and then it turns black (but backlight is still on).

I hooked up my laptop to my tv with the hdmi cord and I can see everything. The computer is working fine but for some reason my screen isn't showing anything. Now the weird thing is that when I play a video or go on certain pages, it will show up on my laptop. it will still flicker a little but I can still see everything. Then once I close that screen or video, it's back to black. I have searched all over for someone who has a similar problem like I have, in hopes that I can find a solution, but I havn't. I already tried one sulution where you take out the battery and charger and press the power button for 45 sec. That didn't work. I've had this laptop for a little over a year. It is a HP Pavilion g7-1173dx.

Below are 3 short videos to show you exactly what is going on.

http://youtu.be/PiOBGuXa5fU
In this video, I am turning the laptop on. As you can see, once it passes the logo, you see my wallpaper and then as the desktop icons come on the screen, it goes blank.

http://youtu.be/XwOPJzZHF6I
In this video you can see that if I go to a certain webpage, it shows on my laptop briefly. When I close that webpage, the screen goes back to black.

http://youtu.be/zfCyK3sjGd4
In this video you can see that I started playing a video and it shows on my laptop screen. Once I stop it, or really take it off full screen, it goes back to black.

Master's Graduate
finder070
Message 2 of 6 (1,692 Views)

Re: Laptop screen goes black but back light is still on. Can see images on the screen sometimes. Hel

Hi

In most cases, this is a hardware issue of some sort. Some have noted that disabling the ambient light sensor works for them, but not all notebooks have this option. 

did you recently changed your refreshrate?

default refresh rates are at 60Hz, but this could be the official refresh rate of the screen. In most cases, this is not changeable and is set by the specifications of the display panel.

Try it once.

Hope it helps!

**Clicking on the Kudos! white star is a nice way to say thank you on any post that helped you or resolved the problem.**
**Selecting "Accept as Solution" for a reply that solves your issue helps others who are searching the web for an answer**
Provost
erico
Message 3 of 6 (1,688 Views)

Re: Laptop screen goes black but back light is still on. Can see images on the screen sometimes. Hel

[ Edited ]

Have you tried the Windows key + "P" key to use the presentation selector to switch the display back to the laptop LCD screen?

Do not play around wth the refresh rate as was suggested by another member. That is not a good plan.

Install this BIOS update. It is specifically for an issue like you are experiencing with hibernate and black screens so it may resolve the issue..

update BIOS.png

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****
You can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up icon next to the reply button

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
Gifted1
Message 4 of 6 (1,663 Views)

Thank you for your replies. The ambient light sensor is not on. I will update BIOS and come back and tell you if I'm still having these issues. Thanks both of you.

Honor Student
Gifted1
Message 5 of 6 (1,657 Views)

Ok I updated BIOS. That didn't work. Any other suggestions?

Provost
erico
Message 6 of 6 (1,635 Views)

Have you tried the other suggestion that I made?
Read my previous post again.

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****
You can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up icon next to the reply button

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation