Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I bought my laptop a couple months ago and notice that there are fuzzy/static pixels when I look at an angle on grey and/or white backgroud. I was wondering is there a way to fix it?

My laptop specs:

Windows 8.1

15.6-inch diagonal Full HD BrightView LED-backlit Display (1920x1080)

AMD A10-5750M

8GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 8650G + 8600/8700M Dual Graphics

hp.jpg

Please watch the Youtube video on HD

Video 1

Video 2

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended
I was wondering if this is a software or hardware problem my laptop screen is having?
HP Recommended

Hello Kenryu1986,

I would like to assist you with resolving this issue. It seems to me like it's going to be a driver issue coming from the graphics card. Would you be able to respond back with the model/product number of your notebook? Also, has this been an issue ever since you purchased the notebook?

Looking forward to your response.

Thank you,

I worked on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

Model: HP ENVY 15Z-J000 NOTEBOOK PC

Model Number: D0D78AV

Thanks for the reply. I think I notice this problem after I purchased the notebook.  I have contacted HP Support via email. They told me to follow some steps to see if it can resolve my issue which did not. When the steps did not help, they told me to do a system recovery to see if the problem still persist. After doing the system recovery and the steps, the problem still persist. So, I have to sent my laptop in for service since I still have warranty. It looks like my laptop have internal hardware malfunction. 

HP Recommended

@Kenryu1986,

If we try to boot into the BIOS and check there, that will determine if it's an issue with the hardware or the drivers.

Follow the steps from the link below:

http://goo.gl/uRzQTu

1. Click Startup Menu
  2. Click Opening the Startup Menu
  3. Click Opening the Startup Menu during system startup
  4. Press F10 to go into the BIOS Setup.
  5. Check to see if the same issue is present.

Thank you,

HP Recommended

I did go into the BIOS Setup to check if the problem persist. I was not able to see any fuzzy/static pixels. I was thinking that the problem happens on certain light color backgrounds. When I was doing a system recovery, on the Software Installation screen, I was able to see the fuzzy/static pixels when I look very close to the screen. I am currenly waiting for the box that HP is sending so that I can send my laptop to one of their servicing center for repairs.

Here is what HP Support told me what to do to solve my problem. Hopefully, if others are having the same issue, this might help (Note: For Steps 3 and 4, the links provided were for my laptop specs. So, please check updates that are compatible with your laptop/notebook/PC):

Step 1: Check in BIOS

Please restart the notebook and start tapping F10 till the bios screen comes up. Now, please check whether the pixels are still appearing on the BIOS screen. If the pixels are still appearing on the BIOS screen, then it seems that the notebook is encountered internal hardware malfunction and the notebook needs to be serviced. 

Step 2: Uninstall the Graphics Driver

1.      Place the cursor top right corner of the screen

2.      Charms Bar will appear

3.      Click on Search

4.      Click on settings

5.      Type “device manager” in the search field

6.      Click on Device Manager

7.      The Device Manager Window will open.

8.      Click the plus sign (+) next to Display Adapter

9.      One or more drivers under Display Adapter will open up

10.  Now do a single right click on each of the drivers under Display Adapter and select the Uninstall option.

11.  Once all the drivers are uninstalled please restart the computer. It will automatically reinstall them.

Step 3: Update the Graphic Driver

I would request you to please visit the below mentioned web link for downloading and installing the Graphics Driver. Please follow the Installation Instruction:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-119891-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en...=

NOTE:  Clicking the link may give an error indicating it is invalid.  If this occurs, copy the portion of the address on the remaining line(s) and paste it at the end of the address showing in your browser until the complete address is displayed in the Address box.

Installation Instructions

1. Download the file by clicking the Download or Obtain Software button and saving the file to a folder on your hard drive (make a note of the folder where the downloaded file is saved).

2. Double-click the downloaded file and follow the on-screen instructions.

Step 4: BIOS Update

NOTE: - While doing a BIOS Update always ensure that the AC Adapter is connected and no other programs are running on the Notebook except the BIOS Update.

I would request you to please visit the below mentioned web link for installing the BIOS Update and please follow the Installation Instruction:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-123508-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en...=

NOTE:  Clicking the link may give an error indicating it is invalid.  If this occurs, copy the portion of the address on the remaining line(s) and paste it at the end of the address showing in your browser until the complete address is displayed in the Address box.

Steps to follow:

1.         Click on the link provided above.

2.         On the result page you will find a file with name sp63664.exe [1/1, 6.93M]

3.         You need to install this file.

4.         Click over the file with name sp63664.exe [1/1, 6.93M]

5.         It will show you the pop up in which you need to select the “SAVE” option and save the file.

6.         Then “RUN” it as Administrator.

If the steps above does not solve the problem, HP Support told me to do a system recovery.

System Recovery

NOTE: Back up all personal files and read all caution statements before performing a system recovery.

If you have created the Recovery CDs, then please visit the below mentioned web link and please perform the steps under the heading “Recovery from recovery discs” and if you do not have the Recovery CDs, then please visit the below mentioned web link and please perform the steps under the heading “Recovery when Windows 8 does not start correctly” provided in the web page:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03489643

For me, I was not able to solve my problem doing all of the above. Therefore, I have to send my laptop for repairs.

HP Recommended

@Kenryu1986,

I'm glad the technical support is going to be repairing your notebook. If you have any other questions before or after the notebook is repaired, feel free to ask!

Thank you 🙂

HP Recommended

I know this problem was posted some time ago, but I'm having the same issue with a new HP Envy laptop.

Did the HP repair center able to fix the issue? 

I'm thinking its a hardware issue in the GPU or Screen itself.

HP Recommended

@MarshMellowed

I had a computer technician come to my house after I have gotten a replacement laptop. Have the same problem with the new replacement laptop as my old unit. The technician told me it's normal if I view it at an angle that I normally don't view it at.

HP Recommended

In 15+ years of building and repairing computers. I've never seen an issue such as this. Its certianly not normal.

Viewing a screen from side angles should show a "dark" or tinted effect. Not a static/pixation effect.

and I have another one of these same Envy 15 and it does not have the same issue.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.