Question

Tutor
blugemstarr
Message 1 of 16 (17,492 Views)

Laptop wont come out of sleep mode

All,and

I have a HP Pavillion dv9700 laptop. I have noticed that after letting the laptop go into sleep mode, I cant recover the laptop. The power button is blinking and when I press it the laptop powers back up but the screen stays black. I try to move the mouse, hit several keys all to no avail. I wanted to see if anyone here has any ideas before I call the Tech support line. I have had this laptop for about six months now and never noticed this behavior before today. I have been working from home and leaving my computer on for most of the day recently.

thanks,

blugemstarr

Teacher
Jim_Mohr
Message 2 of 16 (17,481 Views)

Re: Laptop wont come out of sleep mode

Is "Hibernate" an option you can set up?  I have a Sony computer that has the SAME problem with SLEEP, but "Hibernate" works just fine!  If you find what the issue is with SLEEP, PLEASE update your finding on this thread.

Thanks!

Honor Student
skoey
Message 3 of 16 (17,518 Views)

Just yesterday I resolved my problem of no video when attempting to return from sleep. My dv5220 was also going into this mode (running but no video) randomly when in use.

I disabled the internal wireless device (in the system bios) and, so far, this has corrected the problem. For a full day I have not had any problems.

Good luck! 

Tutor
blugemstarr
Message 4 of 16 (17,505 Views)

Jim,

I appreciate your suggestion and somehow I didnt check to see if hibernate is working. I am at work now and I will check my laptop in a few hours and post back here. I have been googling this issue and there seems to be several people with this problem. I hope I can get a solution and post back here soon.

thanks,

blugemstarr

Tutor
blugemstarr
Message 5 of 16 (17,504 Views)

Skoey,

I appreciate your suggestion, but I am not sure I can do the same as I use my internal wireless card with my home network. There must be another way to disable the wireless device features to allow sleep mode to work properly.

thanks,

blugemstarr

Top Student
chrispy107
Message 6 of 16 (17,217 Views)

I just had a similar problem happen to my dv2700t running Vista. I was on the boards looking for a solution and now that I figured it out, thought I'd post. Looks to me like a software issue.

I unplugged my LAN connection just before pushing the power button to enter sleep mode (or hibernate? not sure). The screen went dark and the computer was unresponsive, as far as I knew, but the computer was still very much on. The blue lights and the fan were still going, and the hard drive still showed some activity. Pushing the power button again or ctrl-alt-del had no effect. Finally, I decided to plug my LAN connection back in and the screen went back on as if nothing happened. Why the network connection would effect sleep mode, I don't know. I was also downloading with a torrent client which I think now was the critical factor in the problem.

Could you have had programs running and accessing the network when you entered sleep mode? 

Honor Student
skoey
Message 7 of 16 (17,190 Views)

I had previously reported that I had fixed the sleep mode problem by disabling the internal wireless card...( began using an external wireless card)  Well 2 days later the problem returned. I then changed all sleep mode setting to hibernate settings. I reenabled the internal wireless card. I am set to hibernate when I close the lid on the laptop, and I hibernate (instead of sleep or standby) or just completely shutdown when not using the laptop. These setting changes are all in CONTROL PANEL - POWER OPTIONS in Windows XP.

Crossing my fingers for my dv5220us...

Tutor
blugemstarr
Message 8 of 16 (16,984 Views)

All,

I was able to get my laptop to  work in hibernate mode. Then now sleep mode works also. I haven't done many tests, about 4 or 5, but the laptop comes out of sleep just fine. I will continue to monitor this and report back if I see any difference with my laptop.

thanks,

blugemstarr

Tutor
blugemstarr
Message 9 of 16 (16,647 Views)

All,

One problem that I have started to notice recently is my laptop wont go into Sleep Mode automatically. In my power settings, I have it set for turn off display after 10 minutes. Then put computer into Sleep Mode after 20 minutes. The display does shut off, but the computer never goes into Sleep Mode. I can manually put the computer into sleep, but it isnt following my power options. Any ideas?

thanks,

blu.....

Honor Student
pgpatzik
Message 10 of 16 (16,633 Views)

I had this same problem. I finally got HP to take it back. The 1st time they added new parts to my laptop and returned it to me. Thinking that it was fixed, I started to use my laptop. But the same problem happened again, so I got HP to take it back and this time they replaced my screen. I has been work great until now. Now just to make the timeline noticeable, this happened 18months ago. And now it is happening again. To keep it from going black, I keep moving the mouse.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation