Question
Laptop wont come out of sleep mode
Replies (15)

Student
TomX
Message 11 of 16 (4,814 Views)

Re: Laptop wont come out of sleep mode

I had these problems when my HP laptop went into hibernate modes.  It took it 7 minutes to wake up from hibernate with the blank screen.  Ensure that it is indeed in sleep, not hibernate.  To fix the problem, I had to update the machine to the latest BIOS, and I disabled hibernate, and only let it sleep when the lid is closed.  My machine has been working fine ever since.  Hope this helps.
Honor Student
pgpatzik
Message 12 of 16 (4,813 Views)

Can you send me what I need to do. I am not that knowledgeable w/ the PC. I use it and that is my knowledge of it. LOL
Distinguished Professor
AxshunJaxun
Message 13 of 16 (1,338 Views)

Hey Dusan, 

I'm sorry you're running into this power issue. So you said it won't power on at all but you tried to get it into safe mode? Are you seeing an image on the screen? If so does it attempt to load Windows?

I'm trying to determine if this is a power issue or a boot issue. If the computer will stay powered on until you press and hold the power button to turn it off, but just won't load Windows properly, then it is a boot issue. 

If it powers on and you hear/feel the fan, hard drive and optical drive starting up but then all of those turn off then it's a power issue and different steps need to be taken for that. 

I'll keep an eye out for your reply :smileyhappy:

Honor Student
Dusan89
Message 14 of 16 (1,334 Views)

Hi thanks for replying,

It turns on, I hear the fan, hard drive starts up but it does not continue starting up from pretty much afte5 sec.

I just closed the lid and its set up to go to sleep mode automaticaly but apperently it didnt go fully to the sleep mode because it was still "on" but the screen was black. it looks like its shutting down or powering up.

I can turn it on and off with the power button but its just that.  It doesnt load up anything.

The screen is solid black like its off, fan starts up , hard drive too(i think), also I have the sensor buttons on it and usually when its turning on or its about to shut down my sound and wireless buttons are red color. They are white and blue when the laptop is on. I tried to activate them to see if maybe the screen is dead but the buttons dont react. And Caps Lock and Num Lock are blinking

Distinguished Professor
AxshunJaxun
Message 15 of 16 (1,323 Views)

Ok. Caps/Num Lock lights blinking can indicate some major hardware issues but it could be a false positive. What pattern does the blinking have? Is it just on and off or does it blink a certain number or times and then a pause and blink again? For instance, a 1-blink pattern which is just on and off repeatedly, indicates processor failure. 2 blinks and a pause repeatedly indicates BIOS corruption and so on.

Here's a blink code chart (about halfway down)

It may sound a little strange but try popping open your cd drive tray and pushing it back closed. I've seen a couple of threads that mention that sometimes get the computer back up and going (like this thread). Let me know the results :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Professor
AxshunJaxun
Message 16 of 16 (1,277 Views)

Any luck on your issue Dusan89?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation