Lines on display (108 Views)
Top Student
texastoast61
Message 1 of 4 (108 Views)

Lines on display

I,m developing vertical lines on the display. Sometimes red, sometimes faint blue. More visible on some sites versus others. Two parallel red line appear before windows start.

Associate Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 2 of 4 (93 Views)

Re: Lines on display

Hey Texas,

You are back.  :smileyhappy:

OK.  Maybe the display issue is related that that Catalyst error you are getting. 

Consider:

• Replacing / Updating your ATI Radeon Driver
  • Replacing the graphics card

Once you have updated the drivers, and the document I provided last time indicates that you must do this as part of the Troubleshooting... then the next step is looking at the hardware.

If you do not think you have damaged the display itself, that is, you have not dropped, tapped, banged, or flung the notebook against a wall... then the video card may be bad.  You are getting errors (according to one of your posts dated 08 Apr 2012) - and the Catalyst Control panel could the Radeon card controller.  ??? 

If the card is not bad and the drivers are updated, then you still may have to take apart the notebook and check the cabling, the connectors... something might be failing, loose, damaged.  You should not have vertical lines: not red ones, not blues, certainly not at boot!

I hope this helps...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Everyone on the forum works hard!  Show your appreciation!

Click the Kudos Star on the Left to say "Thanks"!

Fixed? Click this Post “Accept as Solution” so others can find it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remember:  The more information you provide, the better help you can receive.

Always Include:  (Notebook) Product Number , Printers – Model Number ,

Operating System and an Error Description

Never give out your Serial Number

2012 Year of the Dragon!

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
Top Student
texastoast61
Message 3 of 4 (70 Views)

Here's what I did. I connected an external monitor to the computer last night and everthing was good. I dis-connected the monitor and all seemed well. Later the lines re-appeared but I'd already re-connected the monitor to my other computer, it was late and I didn't want to go through the process again, and I was tired so I went to bed. The computer seemed fine for awhile this morning then the lines showed up. I got the external monitor back out and connected the power cord only. I found a website that was exhibiting the symptoms strongly. I plugged the external monitor in and the problem disappeared instantly. Where do I go from here?

Associate Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 4 of 4 (65 Views)

Hey Texas,

Guessing here... Video card may going into oscillation.  Changing the load, by changing monitors, dampens the load - causing the lines to disappear.   Different loads cause the card to respond in a slightly different manner. 

Hard to diagnose these things without the tools for it. 

If the card is oscillating, then why is it doing that?  Don't know.  Not going to guess. The system should compensate for load differences.

Driver Backtracking:

If all else fails and you are still confident in the hardware, try going Down a revision in the Driver.  It is possible, if you did update recently, that the latest rev is not sitting well with your equipment.

If you cannot find the revision you want at your computer's website, you have sufficient backups, and the skillset to backtrack if things go sideways -- then you could try going out to the manufacturer's website(s) and see whether there is a driver rev you want to try to even out the display issue.

IMO:

At some point you have to decide whether to replace something to proceed.  It could still be the display - the card is cheaper and easier to replace... the driver is easier still.  Start with the easy stuff and just keep going until you find and fix it or get to the point where it is not worth it and it is time to replace the box.  If throwing software at it won't do it, then you have to open the box... if you open the box, you commit to fixing it or breaking it (more than it is now).

I hope this helps...

Everyone on the forum works hard!  Show your appreciation!

Click the Kudos Star on the Left to say "Thanks"!

Fixed? Click this Post “Accept as Solution” so others can find it.

Remember:  The more information you provide, the better help you can receive.

Always Include:  (Notebook) Product Number , Printers – Model Number ,

Operating System and an Error Description

Never give out your Serial Number

2012 Year of the Dragon!

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation