Question

Tutor
LeoL
Message 1 of 22 (33,871 Views)

Looking for HP dv6t TrueVision HD webcam drivers

I recently purchased a HP dv6t-6100 laptop. I used it for a couple days to make sure it had full functionality, and then formatted the hard drive and installed a fresh copy of Windows 7 x64. I managed to reinstall just about all of the drivers from HP's website, except for the webcam. Under device manager, I have two problem devices, one is "SM Bus Controller" and the other is "Unknown device". I suspect one of these is the webcam. I have nothing under "imaging devices." Scanning for hardware changes and automatically searching for drivers yields nothing. I've updated the bios as well and it's still unable to detect it. I've searched HP's support and drivers site and they don't have anything except for Cyberlink Youcam. Does anyone know where I can find drivers for the integrated TrueVision HD webcam?

Another possible option: I read somewhere that someone suggested using the usbvideo.sys in C:\windows\system32\drivers; however, I have no idea where to get the .ini file for that.

Grad Student
maxpower757
Message 2 of 22 (33,868 Views)

Re: Looking for HP dv6t TrueVision HD webcam drivers

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=3945150

put in your OS and choose Software-Multimedia and it should be in there.

Tutor
LeoL
Message 3 of 22 (33,863 Views)

Will give it a try, but not very hopeful. I read in another thread that the Truevision HD just uses the generic windows driver. Does anyone know where to get the installer file for it?

Grad Student
maxpower757
Message 4 of 22 (33,859 Views)

c:\windows\inf

Tutor
LeoL
Message 5 of 22 (33,847 Views)

Max, tried downloading from your link and installing, but the webcam is still not being detected. I also tried to force installing the generic usbvideo driver and it still couldn't find my webcam. Any other ideas?

Grad Student
maxpower757
Message 6 of 22 (33,842 Views)

[ Edited ]

I gave you the wrong link, I am sorry, I misread something and I have a slow internet connection and hp's site is hard to use, here is the correct link:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-88546-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&...

try this, it is for your model and for windows 7 64.

This is a huge 168mb file with their webcam software, seems a little overkill to me.  I think if you have any archive software like winrar or 7zip you can open the file you download from hp in it and explore for the inf file and just extract that.   This way you don't need to install their webcam application if you don't want to, which it seems like you don't since you reformatted with a new OS.  

That is a big problem with HP and a lot of these manufacturer web sites is that the drivers are packaged with bloatware as are the preinstalled hard drive images.  

Tutor
LeoL
Message 7 of 22 (33,821 Views)

Tried your latest download and it still cannot detect the camera. Anything else I can try?

Grad Student
maxpower757
Message 8 of 22 (33,811 Views)

I found the generic driver you were talking about is here:

C:\Windows\system32\drivers\usbvideo.sys

I don't know how to find your webcam driver on HP's cluttered site, sorry for the bad advice so far.

Honor Student
jmleziva
Message 9 of 22 (33,551 Views)

Has there been any resolution to this issue? I am having a similar issue.

My laptop does not detect the webcam.

I have not been able to find webcam drivers.

I have installed all updates. I have looked for HP drivers on the site and have installed all drivers that apply to my laptop. I have not installed any HP utilities. 

model #: dv6t-6100

product #: LM332AV

As with LeoL, the first thing I tend to do is wipe the stock installation and do a re-install. For a while afterwards my webcam wasn't detected but work through adobe flash. Now it does not work at all. I am not for sure exactly when the webcam stopped working. 

Tutor
LeoL
Message 10 of 22 (33,542 Views)

Hi jmleziva, this is still unresolved. Adobe was able to detect your cam even though Windows didn't see it in device manager?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation