Missing Dual Graphics option.
Replies (18)

HP Support Agent
Great-Deku-Tree
Message 11 of 19 (155 Views)

Re: Missing Dual Graphics option.

[ Edited ]

Hey Bharat1994,

Can you tell me the application you are having issues with?

OpenGL games can only use the onboard graphics card, DirectX 9 games only use one GPU as they are not dual compatible, and DirectX 10 and 11 will use both cards. You can find more detailed information in this document: Switchable Graphics on Notebooks Configured with Dual AMD GPUs. This document explains why sometimes, it appears that your notebook is using the integrated card versus the PCI card.

Also regarding your screenshots, I'm not sure how much I trust software that says your GPU is almost 33,000 degrees... ? Try Speccy, it's a great free program to monitor stats for your hardware.

Did you notice any difference with the drivers in my previous post? if not let's try these from AMD directly: AMD Catalyst™ 14.7 RC Driver for Windows® Operating System.

I look forward to your reply. :smileyhappy:

The Great Deku Tree
I work on behalf of HP.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
Teacher
Bharat1994
Message 12 of 19 (148 Views)

here's the info generated from spiccy

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/hdvBdm0aDYxZNA5a5LkrRwR

HP Support Agent
Great-Deku-Tree
Message 13 of 19 (144 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hey Bharat1994,

So this shows me the ATI AMD Radeon HD 7420G is being used, and that you have the most recent drivers from AMD (14.100.0.0), but what I need to know is the applications you are using that are causing this issue. Be careful not to overlook this information in my previous post:

"OpenGL games can only use the onboard graphics card, DirectX 9 games only use one GPU as they are not dual compatible, and DirectX 10 and 11 will use both cards. You can find more detailed information in this document: Switchable Graphics on Notebooks Configured with Dual AMD GPUs. This document explains why sometimes, it appears that your notebook is using the integrated card versus the PCI card."

You might also want to check your BIOS for your RAM clock speed. Speccy is showing it at DRAM Frequency: 807.3 MHz but you have 1600 Mhz.

I look forward to your reply. :smileyhappy:

The Great Deku Tree
I work on behalf of HP.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
Teacher
Bharat1994
Message 14 of 19 (135 Views)

i want to play games with the descrete one not with the integrated one

HP Support Agent
Great-Deku-Tree
Message 15 of 19 (132 Views)

Hey Bharat1994,

I understand your concern, but wanting to and being able to are two different things. I need to know the games you are trying to play to tell if the card will work. Again, the discrete card will not work for OpenGL games. Please respond with the games you are trying to play to confirm if they are OpenGL or DirectX 9, 10, or 11.

Thanks.

The Great Deku Tree
I work on behalf of HP.

Teacher
Bharat1994
Message 16 of 19 (127 Views)

Ok i have three games installed right noe

gta IV

sleeping dogs

watch dogs

sleeping dog works fine but gta IV lacks alot so does watch dogs

HP Support Agent
Great-Deku-Tree
Message 17 of 19 (124 Views)

Thanks Bharat1994,

GTA4 uses DirectX 9, meaning the graphics will be rendered by the onboard graphics no matter what settings you have selected. 

"When a discrete graphics processor is paired with an A6/A8-series integrated graphics processor, then data is rendered by the integrated one because it performs better than the discrete in this scenario." - Source.

You have a 7600m which is an A8 series card, so you fall under this category.

Watch Dogs is a different story. Watch Dogs uses DirectX 11 which should use both GPU's at the same time. You cannot tell it to use only one GPU.

"DirectX 10 and DirectX 11 applications use both graphics processors simultaneously to render data." - Source.

You can try running Watch Dogs in DirectX 10 to lighten the load on your GPU's. You can find how to do this here: How to launch Watch Dogs with DirectX 10

Let me know if it plays better in this version.

The Great Deku Tree
I work on behalf of HP.

Top Student
Jocc080
Message 18 of 19 (73 Views)

I installed the HP driver. Options still missing. I have newer, better, stronger laptop than my friends machine and I have less options, and more important less performance. That is frustrating :smileysad:

HP Support Agent
Great-Deku-Tree
Message 19 of 19 (56 Views)

Hey Jocc080,

I looked up World Of Tanks system requirements and found that the game runs DirectX 9. This means the graphics will be rendered by the onboard card no matter what.

"When a discrete graphics processor is paired with an A6/A8-series integrated graphics processor, then data is rendered by the integrated one because it performs better than the discrete in this scenario." - Source.

The option is missing because it is not supported by the game client. Can you tell me if the dual graphics options appears for other games that support the feature? These must be DirectX 10 or DirectX 11. You can find which version a game uses under the minimum system requirements page for the game.

Sorry for the bad news but the feature you're looking for isn't possible with this game. 

The Great Deku Tree
I work on behalf of HP.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation