Question

Honor Student
ParkerWood
Message 1 of 4 (180 Views)

My HP ENVY dv6 won't detect or display anything with my second monitor.

I recently purchased a new monitor, but my envy will not detect it at all. I've checked multiple times. I'm using a VGA cable to connect the device. The monitor recognizes the cable is in and the connnection is secure, but it will display a "No Signal" and go into an immediate sleep mode after being booted up. I am able to move windows back and forth between the primary screen of the laptop (screen 1) and the secondary monitor I recently purchased (screen 2), but screen 2 does not display any of the windows.

Any help would be appreciated.

HP Support Agent
Sparkles1
Message 2 of 4 (153 Views)

Re: My HP ENVY dv6 won't detect or display anything with my second monitor.

Hi @ParkerWood ,

Welcome to the HP Forums!:smileyhappy:

I would like to take a moment and thank you for using the forum, it is a great place to find answers. For you to have the best experience in the HP forum, I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I understand that you are having a difficulty getting the second  display to function correctly.  Here is a link to   Connecting a Monitor, Projector or TV (Windows 8) to assist you.

Good Luck!

Sparkles1
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!
Honor Student
ParkerWood
Message 3 of 4 (54 Views)

Thank you for the help, but I had already done all of these steps prior to posting. When the computer detects the screen either from the Control Panel or from the AMD command center it senses that there is indeed a second monitor. The problem I am facing is that it can't identify what the monitor is; on the Control Panel it is listed as "Display Device on: VGA" and the AMD Command Center has it named "Unknown". I have no trouble moving windows back and forth between the two; the issue is also that it won't display said windows.

I have tested the monitor with other laptops around the house, but my envy dv6 is the only one that poses an issue.

HP Support Agent
Sparkles1
Message 4 of 4 (46 Views)

Good Morning @ParkerWood,

Thank you for your response.

Have you done all your Windows updates?

Have you tried running the  HP Support Assistant  to aid with HP updates and resolving issues?

When you have the second monitor connected, if you look in Device Manger is there an alert or an  error on it?

Have you tried updating the driver for the monitor in Device Manager?

In Device Manager, you could try deleting the driver and then scan for hardware changes.  This will allow Windows to install the driver.

If you are still unable to use your second monitor with your Envy, I suggest contacting HP support for assistance.

Please call our technical support at 800-474-6836. If you live outside of the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get the support number for your region. Phone Assist Worldwide

Sparkles1
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation