Question

Top Student
samdanu
Message 1 of 9 (2,827 Views)
Accepted Solution

My HP G72-250US Notebook screen goes blank most often. I have to restart to get access to desktop.

Dear Sir/Madam,

I have an HP G72-250US Notebook that has Windows 7 Home Premium Operating System with Service Pack 1.  The screen goes blank most often. I have to restart to get access to desktop.  The screen becomes white all of a sudden and I have to put the PC into hibernation and restart it to get access to the desktop again.  

What might be causing this problem?  Please help me resolve this issue.

Regards, 

Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 2 of 9 (2,818 Views)

Re: My HP G72-250US Notebook screen goes blank most often. I have to restart to get access to deskto

Hi Sam,

Make sure your BIOS is updated.

Software & Driver Downloads - HP G72-250US Notebook PC

After you make sure the BIOS is updated...

IF the problem persists:

• Try running in Safe Mode...  If that fails, could be the motherboard (or LCD screen).
  • Try connecting an external monitor to the notebook... if this works, then your LCD screen is bad.

I realize your screen is not green and pink - bad screens might come in different colors...

my screen has green and pink sprinkles/pixels on the screen

Assuming your drivers and BIOS are updated, then it is likely you'll need to consider it is hardware.  :smileysad:

Good Luck!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When you appreciate the Help you receive…

Please Click the Kudos Star on the Left to say "Thank You"!

Is it Solved? Make it easier for other people to find the Answer: 

Please Mark my PostAccept as Solution” to say "Yes!"

Remember:  The more information you provide, the better help you receive.

Always Include:  (Computer) Product Number  ,  Printer – Model Number ,

Operating System and an Error Description

Never give out your Serial Number

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2012 Year of the Dragon!

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
Top Student
samdanu
Message 3 of 9 (2,771 Views)

Re: My HP G72-250US Notebook screen goes blank most often. I have to restart to get access to deskto

Dear Dragon-Fur,

Thank you for your answer to my post.  I have updated my BIOS.  The previous BIOS on my PC was F.17 but the latest version on the Softwear & Driver Downloads page is F.37

I have updated and I have not experienced the problem since then.

Thank you!!!

Regards,

Samuel Adanu. 

Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 4 of 9 (2,755 Views)

You are welcome, Sam! 

I am glad the issue is resolved!

Happy Computing!

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
Top Student
samdanu
Message 5 of 9 (2,743 Views)

Dear Dragon-Fur,

I am sorry to annouce to you that the problem is far from over.  I think I have a hadware problem.

The screen now becomes WHITE when I am booting the PC.  It becomes white for some few seconds and returns to its normal state.  Is it the screen that is bad?  I will be disappointed if it is the screen that is damaged.

Regards,

Samuel Adanu. 

Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 6 of 9 (2,728 Views)

RATS.  Technical term...

Could be motherboard.  Connect an external monitor to test.

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
Top Student
samdanu
Message 7 of 9 (2,636 Views)

Dear Dragin-Fur,

I have connected an external monitor to my laptop for some few days but the problem never occured.  I have removed the external monitor and sent it back to where I got it from.  

Unfortunately, the problem has started occuring again. The screen goes blank (WHITE).  I have to put the laptop into hibernation/restart it to get back to the desktop.

I think it is a hardware problem as you said.  What should I do from here on?  Should I see a PC hardware expert?

Regards,

Samuel. 

Top Student
samdanu
Message 8 of 9 (2,636 Views)

Dear Dragon-Fur,

I have connected an external monitor to my laptop for some few days but the problem never occured.  I have removed the external monitor and sent it back to where I got it from.  

Unfortunately, the problem has started occuring again. The screen goes blank (WHITE).  I have to put the laptop into hibernation/restart it to get back to the desktop.

I think it is a hardware problem as you said.  What should I do from here on?  Should I see a PC hardware expert?

Regards,

Samuel. 

Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 9 of 9 (2,599 Views)

Sorry for the delay - I am out of the area and not within a connection point some days. Does sound like hardware. Choices, of course... Fix it yourself - if you can track down if motherboard or LCD screen. Replace unit if you have funds for a new notebook and need an excuse for a new box. Take to a reputable repair shop, if such exist where you live. Send box to HP - they can certainly fixit - for a fee and shipping (unless you have warranty coverage). Treat box like a PC: park it in one place and buy an external monitor for it. Unless there is something else besides the screen, this may not be a real expensive repair... You do not know until you do the homework. Good Luck!
Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation