Question

Honor Student
pers
Message 1 of 6 (5,317 Views)

My laptop gets overheated and turns off

I have a HP PAVILION DV3  2360-ee  laptop running Windows 7 64-bit.

When I'm watching movie for example after one hour the screen gets dark and my laptop  turns off then I have to wait to get cool

to turn it on again.

i think it has problem with graphic card.

Top Student
Mahou_Snuffle
Message 2 of 6 (5,309 Views)

Re: My laptop gets overheated and turns off

I had similiar problem with my Pavilion dv7.  It was so bad that sometime, it will turn off every 3 or 4 hours EVERYDAY!!    During summer time last year, it was auto shut off within every 2 years for a period of time.

So, it seems that it is the cooling fan and gel that is on the CPU and other sections that has fan and heat sink that has ventilation problem.   After HP changed and redo all the heatsink and fan, it seems a lot better now.

It has been 4 months since HP fixed it, and it seems ok now.  Good think I had the warranty.    May be you can call HP warranty support to fix that.  Or you will have to open your notebook to fix it.

Honor Student
pers
Message 3 of 6 (5,307 Views)

I event buy coolpad but it didn't work out.

Unfortunately I don't have warranty.

Today I updated my RomBios but I don't think it will help.

Top Student
Mahou_Snuffle
Message 4 of 6 (5,304 Views)

I am not sure your case. I have the latest BIOS, and it still didn't work. If it happens a lot and bothers you, you may want to find any very experience PC repairman to open it up and reapply the cpu silicone paste on the CPU and other area. and clean the heat sink.

If you are careful, you won't break it. PROCESS with cautious and do it only as your last resource.

I have used over 4 different brands and over 10 different models of notebook computers. What I found is the "Business Line" products are usually more "reliable'. My work use HP's business line notebook computer as well. It seems better and no such problem.

My Dell's latitude notebooks is over 8 years old, they are still working!! Toshiba is pretty reliable and well design on some models. my other Toshiba consumer line, is over 5 years. It is still working!!

The story here is, get business line product when possible. Don't let the fantasy specs. fool you. Unless you plan to change computer every 2 years or less.

If on budget, I suggest you look at Dell Latitude line on your next notebook. There are good deals from time to time. And avoid ATI video cards!!! they have more driver issues than Nvidia .

Good Luck
Teacher
CJacksonLASD
Message 5 of 6 (5,289 Views)

Here is what you need to do to fix your Laptop. 

1st - Google Core Temp, download and install, have it running in the background and play a game or movie and see how hot your CPU gets.  If it reaches the 90's then your computer is shutting off from your CPU reaching its critial temperature limits.  If your computer is over 1-2 years old most likely your CPU thermal paste is too old to properly cool your Laptop, second your fan may have dust blocking its airflow.

2nd - If your pc is overheating you can easily fix it yourself.  Buy Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Paste (10$), then youtube "disassemble or take apart your HP (Computer Model)."  Is sooo easy to take apart a Laptop, just remember what you did and then do the opposite to take it apart.  Usually unscrew the 10+ screws on the back, take out cdrom, take out hard drive, then slowly unplug stuff, when motherboard is out then take off heatsink, clean it with rubbing alcohol, apply thermal paste (small amount) then resemble.  Your Laptop will be over 10 degrees cooler. 

PS.  I build PCs for a living, you can also drill small holes in bottom of fan to increase airflow if your laptop has no vents under fan. 

Or buy a new laptop, check techbargains.com

Honor Student
pers
Message 6 of 6 (5,284 Views)

Thank you so much. I see a lot of  useful information.

I'll give opening my laptop a shot and I think acording to your explanations and your exprience it will work.of course  I hope :smileywink:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation