Question

Student
DWeddle
Message 1 of 1 (1,619 Views)

NVIDIA graphics driver has stopped working properly

I have an HP 7790y desktop computer with a NVIDIA GeForce 7500 LE graphics card. It has the newest NVIDIA driver from Feb 2010 installed. I have 32-bit Windows VISTA ultimate OS, 4.00 GB, 2.4 GHz with an Intel Core 2 CPU 6600. It also has a TV tuner. I also have dual monitors, one digital, one analog, hooked up. I've had this system since 2008 with no problems whatsoever. I would watch TV on one monitor and play Facebook games, etc on the other. I play no other games. On 3/1 I had 5 tabs open for Facebook (playing Cafe World, Zoo World, Island Paradise, etc) - sad, I know!!! LOL -and clicked on my TV remote when my system totally crashed. I got the notorious bluescreen and can only restart my system in Safe Mode (with or without networking). My Windows Media Center will no longer work and when I try to start it get the msg "App failure.critical process has failed'..'TV and video may not work as expected because the video card does not meet the minimum memory requirements of 64 MB of video RAM' and 'file needed to display video are not installed or not working correctly'. The Microsoft error log/report feedback says what is in the subject line above. Problem reports also gave me 'a problem with your video hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly." with Prob event name : LiveKernel Event" then later, Shut down unexpectedly, Problem Event Name: BlueScreen" - both lists files 3 files each. The blue screen has info like 'BSOD..0x00000116....NVLDDMKM.SYS'  and 'attempt to reset the display driver and recover from timeout failed'.  From what I'm reading, I'm thinking 1) I burned out my graphics card by doing too much at once, and it's not really a graphics driver problem, and 2) I need a new, better power supply. Mine has a 350 Watt output. Other than that, I'm really pretty computer illiterate and have no idea what to do. I get groups of 3 black vertical lines down my screens when I'm rebooting. I disconnected my second monitor but the damage seems to be done. Do I need a new graphics card AND a new power supply?? Thanks.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation