Question

Tutor
EricSong
Message 1 of 9 (1,845 Views)

Pavilion G6-2209 AMD HD 7670M Doesn't work/No driver will work

Hey,

I've purchased my HP laptop about 3 months ago, and I bought it with Windows 8, i7, Intel HD 4000 and AMD Radeon HD 7670M graphics. It wasn't till last week that I noticed my AMD graphic card was not working. So I've been searching the web about this problem, trying to get suitable driver for my AMD, but nothing will work.

Seriously pisses me off that a lot of people have this problem, but still can't seem to solve this problem.

Can anyone help me what exactly to do? I'm not an expert when it comes to modifying something on the computer.

I downloaded drivers from AMD site, and the HP site that's SAYS its suitable for my HP, but simply won't work.

Please help me!

Thanks in advance,

Erik.

Distinguished Professor
Kyle_W
Message 2 of 9 (1,817 Views)

Re: Pavilion G6-2209 AMD HD 7670M Doesn't work/No driver will work

Could you elaborate on what you mean when you say it is not working?

It could possibly be a hardware issue. If it is a hardware issue, I would recommend calling HP Support at 1-800-474-6836 as soon as possible to have the notebook repaired while it is still in warranty. You have a one year warranty from the date of purchase.

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
Tutor
EricSong
Message 3 of 9 (1,796 Views)

Hey Kyle,

Thanks for the reply.

When I say it's not working, I mean all of the AMD drivers that are suitable to my graphic card won't simply work after installing. I downloaded AMR drivers from HP, AMD, and other websites, and after I install those, disable my Intel HD 4000, and try to play a game with my Radeon, they games will crash, and Catallyst Control Centre keeps giving me messages like there are no compatible drivers. I know for sure I have the Radeon HD 7670M, since I checked on the device manager, so I know that the video card itself is fine, it's just that there are no drivers that are simply suitable for this.

Can you help me please? Should I delete all the previous drivers that HP already installed for me, and download a single driver? 

Thanks,

Erik.

Distinguished Professor
Kyle_W
Message 4 of 9 (1,790 Views)

First thing I would try is this.

1. Open up device manager.

2. Locate your AMD video driver.

3. Right click and uninstall the driver.

4. Go to the toolbar in device manager and select "scan for hardware changes."

5. After it completes, reboot the computer.

Try it now and see if it continues to have the same issue.

If it doe's, try the same steps, but instead of using "scan for hardware changes" go to the driver file that you downloaded and run it instead. Then reboot the computer.

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
Tutor
EricSong
Message 5 of 9 (1,742 Views)

Hey,

I tried all those things, but it simply woulnd't work at all.

After extensive research, I found out that all the people that had Intel and AMD switchable graphic cards aren't simply switchable in any cases, including all range of brands of laptops. It isn't just HP, but also ASUS, etc, and all those Catalyst Control Center, and the 'Switchable Graphics' won't work with those two brands of graphic cards.

I had a single hope on updating the BIOS and and swithcing the graphic to dynamic function, which apparently will switch it to Radeon graphics, but all the people that have tried this, either got their laptop completely obliterated, due to imcompatible BIOS upgrade, or it did work, but keeps on freezing, getting blue screens, and random shut downs.

Is there any type of solution to fix this? 

I'm not like trying to make your life miserable, I really appreciate you replying to my post, but do you know of any type of solution to this that HP had fixed? So far this problem has been occuring for 2 years, yet not solution.

Thanks,

Erik.

Tutor
EricSong
Message 6 of 9 (1,734 Views)

Or should I go to the store I purchased my computer, and since my warranty is still on, and tell them to fix it?

Distinguished Professor
Kyle_W
Message 7 of 9 (1,702 Views)

Before doing anything else, I would recommend taking a look at the following thread. It sounds like the issue you are having and it might be able to get things working for you. Let me know if it helps.

I upgraded to Windows 8. How do I get switchable graphics to work?

It's for upgrading the Windows 8, but most of the steps should still be applicable.

If that doesn't, they I would think about contacting the store from where you purchased it. The AMD graphic card, if the computer shipped with Windows 8, should work.

Signature
Intern
Mridu99
Message 8 of 9 (377 Views)

What to elaborate huh?

Elaborating the problem-

After the release of windows 8.1 we are constantly facing the same stupid graphics problem.

1st of all, the drivers provided from hp website are out of date and they were released even before windows 8.1 so they are not working. In the device manager it shows that the drivers are correctly installed but opening CCC to play a game with high performance- the game doesn’t turn on and not only that no software can be run using high performance. E.g I choose Mozilla Firefox in high performance mode and try to open it. It crashed all the time just because of choosing AMD High performance and can run smoothly with Intel Hd 4000. So, why I won’t be able to use AMD radeon HD 7670M. Why doesn’t Hp provide us a working graphics driver?

2nd I downloaded the latest beat driver. That doesn’t even detect my driver hardware. Then I started downloading verities of drivers- results the same! Stupid soft wares are just a waste of time. I looked for appropriate driver- months passed!

3rd Now YOU elaborate us what is the cause of we are not being provided with latest driver? Is it purchasing HP product was a wrong decision? Is that we should go for ASUS or DELL? Why the support is so poor?

FOR THE NAME OF GOD PLEASE GIVE US A SOLUTION. PLEASE GIVE US A WORKING DRIVER FOR AMD RADEON 7670M- WINDOWS 8.1.

PLEASE!!!!! !!!!! !!!!!

Honor Student
sushantn07
Message 9 of 9 (178 Views)

I still have that problem leading to lot of heatup upto 96 degrees when using autocad . I  tried all the things including the switchable graphic one , still theproblem exists . I am really dissappointed by HP and suggested my brother to buy a dell and believe it or not i was a avid HP fan but this is utter disappointment. I cant complete my college products due to heatup an applications closing by itself . My brother bought a dell few days back and it runs autocad smooth even on i5 and my i7 literally sucks ( there is no other word to describe my disappointment so had to use ) . I lost my three projects and 48 hours of freaking work due to this . I am suggesting every person in my college and relatives or anyone i know not to buy a HP as they have lost their old reliability .

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation