Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Pavilion dm4t-1100

Windows 7

64 bit

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470

For the past year, the ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470 is always on, and I am unable to switch to Intel HD Graphics.

If I open Catalyst Control Center, nothing happens when I click on Power Saving GPU. In addition, Intel HD Graphics does not show as an option in the drop down menu (see below).

Capture 3.png

However, the device manager shows both devices, and gives me the option of disabling both:

Capture2.JPG

I have a manager friend who works on graphics issues for Intel, and he advised that I download and reinstall the Intel HD Graphics driver from the Pavilion dm4t-1100. I've done so, and when I try to reinstall it, I receive this message:

Capture.JPG

Not being able to fix this killed my battery, and I want to get this fixed before I kill another one.

I read in one fix that I may be able to roll back a device driver to get this working. Is that a possibility for this situation? If so, which of the two devices do I roll back?

Any other suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

I think the driver you're referring to, is a download directly from AMD, unfortunately this will not work as it will not include the required Intel gpu driver or the customized Catalyst Control Centre required to control your switchable graphics - generally downloads directly from AMD are for machines that only have an AMD graphics chip.

If you can't find the original HP version of the AMD software package to reinstall via Recovery Manager, try downloading and installing the switchable graphics driver on the following link - it's from an earlier model but does contain both the required gpu drivers and customized CCC.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp48501-49000/sp48551.exe

When the installation has completed, restart the notebook - as I mentioend previously, you may need to restart twice to get this to configure correctly.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi,

For your particular configuration of switchable graphics ( AMD/Intel ) to work correctly, both drivers are actually installed by the AMD software pack which seems to be missing from your drivers page - you can usually see when this is configured correctly as the Intel gpu will show the driver manufacturer as AMD; see the example from an Envy 17 below.

Switchable Graphics Driver Properties.PNG

The first thing I'd suggest is to see if you can use Recovery Manager to reinstall your original AMD Graphics software pack - the procedure for using recovery manager to reinstall Software and Drivers is detailed in the document on the link below

Recovery Manager - Windows 7

After the reinstallation has completed, restart the notebook and let Windows load for a few minutes before checking - occassionally you may need to restart twice.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Thanks DP-K!

I have ATI Catalyst Install Manager in my Products and Features list. If this is the correct software, then it does appear to be running both my Radeon & Intel graphics.

Capture4.JPG

Should I reinstall the ATI Catalyst Install Manager?

If not the correct one, the only option I find at AMD is this:

AMD Catalyst™ Display Driver

AMD Catalyst™ Driver for AMD Radeon™ HD 4000, HD 3000 and HD 2000 Series

AMD has moved to the AMD Radeon™ HD 4000, AMD Radeon HD 3000, and AMD Radeon HD 2000 Series new driver support model. These updates will focus on resolving application specific issues and critical updates. The reason for the shift in support policy is largely due to the fact that the AMD Radeon HD 4000, AMD Radeon HD 3000, and AMD Radeon HD 2000 Series have been optimized to their maximum potential from a performance and feature perspective.

Applicable Products:

This article applies to the following configuration(s):

Hardware:

AMD Radeon HD 4000 Series
AMD Radeon HD 3000 Series
AMD Radeon HD 2000 Series
AMD Radeon HD Series AGP
AMD Mobility Radeon HD 4000 Series
AMD Mobility Radeon HD 3000 Series
AMD Mobility Radeon HD 2000 Series

NAME FILE SIZE REVISION NUMBER RELEASE DATE DOWNLOAD LINK Catalyst Software Suite 153 MB 13.9 10/15/2013 Download Description:

Package contains the following graphics drivers and dependent/required software for the products specified in the current version's official release notes for the 64 bit version of Windows Vista and Windows 7: 
                     Display Driver ver. 8.97.100.11
                     OpenCL(tm) Driver 10.0.937.2
                     Catalyst Control Center 2013.0429.2312.39747

It looks like this is different software to what I originally had when I purchased the computer.

Should I be downloading and installing the AMD Catalyst Display Driver above?

If I do install, can I anticipate any unintended consequences (i.e. - problems that I did not previously experience with the original software)?

All the best!

D_D

HP Recommended

Hi,

I think the driver you're referring to, is a download directly from AMD, unfortunately this will not work as it will not include the required Intel gpu driver or the customized Catalyst Control Centre required to control your switchable graphics - generally downloads directly from AMD are for machines that only have an AMD graphics chip.

If you can't find the original HP version of the AMD software package to reinstall via Recovery Manager, try downloading and installing the switchable graphics driver on the following link - it's from an earlier model but does contain both the required gpu drivers and customized CCC.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp48501-49000/sp48551.exe

When the installation has completed, restart the notebook - as I mentioend previously, you may need to restart twice to get this to configure correctly.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Hi DP-K,

After opening your link, I realized that I did have the original in the Hardware section of Recovery Manager.

All is now working beautifully.

Thanks!

D_D

HP Recommended

Hi,

You're welcome and good to hear it's working :generic:

All the best,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Hi,

Recently i had to reinstall windows 7. I tried with internal hard drive, however windows screen doesn't start after windows 7 reinstallation. Recovery DVD also didn't help. I created duplicate image from link and installed windows 7.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Recovery/uiadump32-issue-with-64-bit-windows-7-recovery/td-p/1...

Now when i am updating dispaly driver from VGA mode, laptop doesn't start. Then i have to go safe mode and uninstall the HD graphic card driver. After this laptop starts in normal mode. I have tried with AMD HD graphics driver (sp48551) driver and Intel HD graphics driver (sp50821) also, but issue remains same.

Can you please help as i am not able to use my laptop.

Thanks

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.